Concealed Carry Questions

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 1952Sniper, Apr 7, 2003.

1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I'm looking for new ideas on carrying a concealed handgun. I used to carry a Russian Makarov in a shoulder holster (it seems they're now calling it a tactical sling). It's black nylon with a holster under the left arm with thumb release and two spare mag pouches under the right arm, and has two straps that connect to your belt. This has always worked well for me while carrying such a small handgun. I sold that Makarov a while back, and am looking for another Makarov to replace it.

But in the meantime, I'm wanting to carry a larger handgun. My other two available handguns are a Walther P38/P1 or a Czech CZ-52, both of which are much too large to fit in this shoulder holster.

For you guys who carry larger sidearms, what do you use? With my rather small body it's difficult to conceal larger handguns, but I'm open to options.
  2. Bayonet

Bayonet New Member

Concealed Carry options

Howdy,

I have carried concealed and open, as is the law here in the Land of Entrapment. In the 10 years that I have done so, I carried a variety of handguns. Typically the size and bore have been dependent on the perceived level of risk I believed I would encounter.

Today, working in a low risk environment I carry a .32 Beretta Tomcat loaded with high velocity Hornady cartridges in a pocket holster. In the past I thought .32 to be a bit light, but after serious use, its the minimum size I will carry.

My previous employment has been in ATM repair, and I carried a .45 Glock Model 30, or a Springfield Ultra Compact, both with an inside the waistband holster. The Springfield is the most comfortable, while the Glock is a bit more forgiving and carries a few more rounds.

My advice would be to gage your threat level and choose a handgun you feel comfortable carrying and using. In most cases you get what you pay for, the Makarov being an exception. There is nothing wrong with sticking to your gun. Literally.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I always carry the largest caliber I can comfortably carry & conceal. For most of the year, it's a (LW) Commander in .45ACP in a crossdraw inside-the-pants holster. A jacket or loose sweater will easily conceal it.

When it gets hot out (shorts weather) I use my Model 49 Smith (Bodyguard) .38 Special in a inside-the-pants strongside holster with a loose fitting (Hawaiian-type) shirt.

BUT.....while that works for me, you're going to have to determine what caliber, type of gun, and method of carry works best for you!
  4. chad

chad New Member

I've been carrying a Tarus 92 fs for three years now. I used a IWB holster for a while, but it was uncomfortable and I had to buy my pants a size larger than normal. Now I use a belt holster it is much more comfortable, and like Xracer said a buton up shirt covers it very well. I normaly where an A-shirt(wife beater)under a butten up shirt, stainless guns are kind of cold against the skin. I use a Old World Leather holster with a snap thumb break, it was about $20. After two years of use it still works and looks great.
  5. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

sniper,
    I carry a SA Ultra Compact in a Small of back holster. Never been a problem.

I previously carried a Commander in the same place. I like the flatness of the Gov't model. If it is going inside the pants, length is not an issue.

Heat of summer... SW model 66 in a pocket.

That was six cents...
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2003
  6. Juster

Juster New Member

You can use the belt clip of an inside the pants holster to clip the rear of a fanny pack in place over the holster. The fanny pack simply blocks the view of the pistol grip. You can leave the fanny pack open. Good for double stack mags on the beach with your sunscreen hanging out of the fanny pack.

And, reverse psychology: Smith & Wesson T-shirt, Gunny Sack with a couple of Snickers bars in it. People generally leave you alone, cheaper than an actual gun.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  7. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF juster!
  8. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Hi Juster! I see you found TFF! Welcome!

Here's another question about carrying concealed:

What if you wore a flap-over pistol holster but didn't carry the pistol in it? To everyone else, you would appear to be carrying a firearm on your belt. But if questioned by authorities, you could show them that it holds nothing (well, maybe a Snickers bar...). But your concealed handgun that you're licensed for is actually concealed elsewhere. Nothing illegal about that, right?

Just curious.
  9. PeepSight

PeepSight New Member

Sorry , you can't carry a "Snickers" in a holster in california!, federal buildings, school yards, airports, banks, busses, or gun shows! :)
    Peep!
  10. Bayonet

Bayonet New Member

Living in an open carry state that is in the midst of allowing legal concealed carry I have had some unique experiences.

In several notable instances the mere sight of a holstered firearm has precipitated violent action that might have been completely avoided had the weapon been concealed.

I would hate to get jacked from my blind side over a snickers bar.

:p
  11. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

I asked the same question a few months ago, mostly curious how others carried and also maybe pick up a trick or two. Since then I aquired my Firestorm Government .45 ( that I am very pleased with by the way ) and about a month ago I bought a Fobus C-21 paddle holster at a gun show. Personaly I'm very impressed with it. It keeps the pistol high and close to the body and doesn't print at all unless you're looking for it with just a long t-shirt.

I was a bit skeptical about it at first being a "plastic" strapless holster. It is contoured to the shape of the pistol and holds it by retention at the triggerguard. It looks like it would slide out but you can't sling that thing out for nothing, I tried. But when you pull it out, it offers very little resistance and the holster stays put. Fobus makes several holster for many pistols and a couple of revolvers. If you can find someone who sells them see if you can try it out and see what you think.
  12. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome Jester and PeepSight,1952 I carry a SA micro compact in a galco thumb break holster for right now it rides high and doesn't cut into you when you sit or drive as for how concealed it is I have the opinion of "who cares" anymore. If I can cover it I do and if I can't oh well. Theres to many wackos out there for me to worry if I am making someone nervous because I am wearing a gun.
    I would like a paddle holster of some sorts to carry in my boot.
    Come on guys give me some suggestions for that.
    Last edited: May 16, 2003
  13. Smokey Lonesome

Smokey Lonesome New Member

Sniper - I always heard you should carry the largest caliber pistol you are most proficiant with. Having said that, I carry my Springfield Compact all the time. I most recently went to an IWB, but carried OWB for a long time. I suggest you not waste your money on inexpensive holsters. Save yourself the time and money and get yourself a good one. Check out Milt Sparks. I have his Versa Max-2. Top of the line, it conceals very well and it's comfortable.

Be prepared for an 8 to 12 week wait. But, if you can't wait that long he has distributors that stock his products. I got mine from Lightning Arms Sport in 3 days!

Good luck.