Concealed Carry using a fannypack holster.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by piperpilot1, Apr 1, 2008.

1. piperpilot1

piperpilot1 New Member

For those of you with Concealed Carry permits, does anyone routinely carry using a fannypack holster?

I've always had a little leather fannypack that I would use to hold my Glock 30 in the summer when I was in just shorts and t-shirt. But I just bought a fannypack holster combo big enough to hold a 1911 in the back compartment. It also has two zipper compartments on the front for whatever.

I've only had it a week now, but I've been wearing it everyday to get used to it. At first it seemed a bit bulky, but that's wearing off.

One thing I really like about it, now while it's still cold out, when I go into a store or restaurant I can take my coat off, where before I would have to leave it on to cover my *** holster. It also gives me a couple of pockets to hold my Toolman and AA Maglite without clipping them to my belt.

On another Forum I frequent we were having this discussion and it was suggested that a bad guy might see the fannypack and target the wearer, thinking something valuable might be inside, or even knowing that it was a fannypack holster, and wanting to steal the gun. I might be able to see the former, but seriously doubt the latter.

Just was wondering how many others carry a fannypack holster, and your thoughts on how a bad guy might perceive one.
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I carried a specially designed fanny pack with room for lots of junk plus the weapon for about two years before getting a different Oxygen bag that was Horizontal and carried similar to a lady's purse with a handle or shoulder strap. It can even be strapped around the waist if need be.

My 1911 or the Browning HP both fit nicely into the case along with various other items making it an ideal CCW method. Oxygen must go everywhere I do so my weapon therein goes right along and no one is the wiser.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Not to be negative...but I honestly believe a fanny pack on an obviously straight guy is like a sign saying "My gun is right here!".

Same thing for those photography vests..."Shoot me first!".

IMHO
  4. Kahr

Kahr New Member

I couldn't agree more.

5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

+1
  6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Ditto
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have one and never use it. I either pocket carry my SP101 or use a belt pancake holster.
  8. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

I too agree. When I first began carrying I would carry in a vest, but I soon realized that anyone "in the know" knew that I was carrying, so I switched to an IWB holster with an oversized shirt. I will admit that for carry the vest was comfortable, but after getting used to my IWB it is equally as comfortable... The goal is concealed carry, so I don't want anyone to know that I am carrying, even those "in the know"
  9. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    And to all those in agreement, I'll add mine; however, that applies to people who know about guns and are watching for them. Same thing applies, nowadays, to vests, Hawiian print shirts, oversized pants pockets, etc. There's only so many ways to carry a gun, even a small one, and people who've thought about those ways are aware of their utilization by others.

I'm guessing 80%-90% of the people you interact with in public are going to assume you've got your wallet and asthma inhaler in the pouch, because they're not only not looking for guns, they're in wishful thinking mode anyway, and trying hard to pretend that guns don't even exist.

I've got a small "fanny pack" I rigged up for my Kahr PM9, it's pretty small, but I've fitted a small wooden box, cut to support the gun, into the larger part in the back, and keep a couple of extra magazines in the front part. It attaches to the belt, as well as a shoulder-strap, so I'm not worried about "purse snatchers". I actually wear it on the left over the gut for cross draw with the right hand, not on my "fanny". Main thing is to make sure the zippers open the best way; in mine, the zipper goes from right to left, so I can unzip with the left hand and withdraw the gun with the right nearly simultaneously.

Sure, it screams "gun" to people who are watching for guns, but who cares? Most of those guys are screaming "gun" too, just in different ways.

Anyway, I don't use it much; it's basically my last resort when an IWB won't do. And I generally prefer traditional leather belt holsters, anyway.
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

When I think 'fanny pack', I think of the grandpa at the beach walking around in velcro bleach white Nikes, black knee-high polyester socks with plaid shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to top it off... But hey, it also says "I've got a gun..."

Sorry guys, I had to...
    :D
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I don't know..... maybe you could put a Red Cross symbol on your fanny pack. Then it could be mistaken for a first aid kit or something else medical.
  12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Same here.

I have one and use it, but ONLY when I'm hiking and don't want to carry in the open. I usually also have a day pack, water bottles, etc. and a fanny pack tends to blend in and not be so obvious.

For most true concealed carry situations, an IWB holster works much better.
  13. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Your kidding right.

I carry in a fanny pack when its needed depending upon weather, temperature, dress or specific activities.
    Yes my normal and preferred carry is inside the pants. But when necessary I carry in my Galco fanny pack.

And say what you want, you may see it and even think I might have a gun. But the cold hard fact is most people do not even notice and even if they did/do, unless I open it and show them whats' inside, they do not know.
    good for me. It is still one of the handiest, and very effective ways there is to carry concealed and to help me to ALWAYS have my gun near at hand.

UF
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Just put a sign on it "No gun in here". No problem, right?

Actually I guess given the choices of a belt pack that those in the know, know or not carrying then go with the pack. I serious doubt that a bg is going to come up and try to take it from you. I would wear as a belt pack and not as a fanny pack though.
  15. I have to go along with the consensus here very strongly; a fannypack simply says "I'm packing iron, so shoot me first." In any situation where a fannypack might be suitable, you're better off carrying a small revolver--like a J-frame Smith--in a pants pocket. Under specialized circumstances, such as those Marlin mentioned, it might make sense, but otherwise no.
  16. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Hmmmmmm

I carried in a fanny pack fairly often when i lived in San Diego, CA. I remember being frisked by a police officer once and he didn't make the P85 in the back compartment. So much for being made by those who are "looking."

I usually carry IWB with a square-tailed vest. I make them myself and they are definitely "dress" vests, but not "suit" vests. They hang well, if I have the little C9 in the inside right hand and a couple of mags in the inside left pockets. I weight the hem with fishing lead to keep them from flying in the breeze.

After 10 years of working with him, the manager of the Transportation finally saw me without my vest. He saw the IWB holster and asked me casually, "Have you always worn that?" I smiled as I answered. End of subject. :D

You don't have to be made if you don't want to be made.

Pops
  17. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Pops, you make a good point however, I'll say that suspicion arises with how well the 'fanny pack' fits your image... Being 60+, I can see no one questioning the 'fanny pack' carry. It has become, to me, a stereotype since some of my in-laws carry them for convenience in their older age (and they really don't carry guns in them). For someone at my age to carry one, completely and utterly out of style, it would raise a flag... This is a much more complicated debate than we're making it out to be... That's why I made my comment about the grandpa on the beach with a fanny pack... In the mid-1980s, younger people might could have gotten away with this, but nowadays it says, "I've got a gun" for anyone younger than 60...

I don't mean to be offensive to those in this age range, but the point needs to be addressed. There is a clear trigger where a fanny pack either means, "he doesn't care that he's out of style," to "he must be carrying something he doesn't want us to see..." Thoughts?... :confused:
  18. obxned

obxned New Member

In my mind, "gun" is NOT what a fanny pak or other style man-purse is screaming. I'd rather carry inside the waist band, even if forced to use a holster made of broken glass and rusty razor wire.