concealed carry

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by rick's red dawg, Jan 23, 2007.

1. rick's red dawg

rick's red dawg New Member

finally got my license and now i need some feed back what type of guns do you folks carry and what type holsters do you use or recommend i have been carrying my p95 and i dont like the holster or where i have to carry it i would like a inside holster on my hip for riding or if walking maybe one that fits in the small of the backor a shoulder holster but then what about summer time carry any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Too many variables

I suggest against small of the back carry. It looks cool on TV, but in real life it it inconvenient and dangerous. When drawing you either sweep yourself or others with the muzzle. Some say this carry position is dangerous if you fall - it can cause back injuries.

It makes a big difference how you are built. I am husky, jolly, XXL. Some holsters just do not fit me. My favorite carry is a Don Hume IWB for my Glock.

Why no go to a gun shop that sells to LEO's and try a few on and use their experience to guide you in a selection?
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I have always carried OWB on my hip nothing else works for me.
    Every once in a while I carry OWB CD on my hip
    I guess my question to you is what do you were on a daily basis just basic clothes or a uniform. Can it be loose fitting
    Here is what I use as an all day carry gun. This style of carry is not for everyone because I am carrying locked and cocked with the trigger exposed.

Attached Files:

4. Red Dawg, asking what kind of gun and holster to carry around here is like opening up the flood gates on Hoover Dam after a hard winter in the Rockies; if you're not careful you'll get innundated! :D

The Ruger P95 is an excellent weapon, but fairly large and thus a bit harder to conceal than the more compact pistols. Personally, I would recommend a high-ride belt or paddle holster such as those made by Galco, or better yet, a custom made one by Kramer or one of the other custom makers. Yes, a good holster is expensive, but well worth the cost. Remember, you will be packing the pistol day in and day out and comfort quickly becomes very important whether you realize that at first or not. Never compromise with a cheapo holster. A pistol left at home because it is too uncomfortable to carry won't help you much in a confrontation! :cool:

My very most favorite holster is the Kramer MSP (for Minnesota State Police for whom the holster was originally designed). It is a paddle holster which means it is very easy to put on and take off several times a day. If you are like me, and circumstances require you to do that, the paddle is definitely the way to go. The MSP is by far the most comfortable and stable holster I've ever used. It's expensive ($145.00 in horsehide, a bit cheaper in cowhide), but well worth the cost. I have them for my Glock 33, S&W 637, Sig P-230 and one on order for my Steyr M9.
  5. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

You might check out DeSantis holsters. I think they make good
    quality holster at pretty good prices. I carry one of their belt
    slide holsters with a Glock 30 and it is very comfortable.
  6. rick's red dawg

rick's red dawg New Member

thanks yall i will see if i canfind some places to try these different holsters and i shoot back i know what you mean i am a big boy to southern i wear loose fitting clothes most of the time pistol i here ya but i figured some of these folks would have some good idea's so that is why i tried to open those gates take it easy yall
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I carry a 5" 1911 in a IWB Milt Sparks Executive Comnpanion. I really like this combination most of the time. The only downside is taking it off requires undoing your belt. Other than that, it is very comfortable, holds my gun really well, and looks good as well. I think I paid $85 for one in horsehide. Long wait, but well worth it. I carry in the summer wearing jeans and a loose t-shirt and have had no problems other than when my shirts were too small.
  8. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Red Dawg...
    I'm a wheel gun guy...I really like my .357 magnum Ruger SP101 hammerless in DeSantis belt holster...very comfy. I carry my S & W 642 .38 in my pocket. Good luck!
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Rick if you wear loose fitting close an OWB or an OWB CD would be fairly easy to conceal
  10. dbl tap

dbl tap New Member

I live in Florida, so I wear mostly shorts and t shirts when not working. I fought with my Glock 19 for years trying to find a comfortable concealable way to carry it. I finally gave up because of comfort and not being able to conceal it. I'm on the thin side and it would protrude everywhere I would try. Thunderwear was the best. But, many times it looked like I had a monster in my pants. Hmmmm maybe I'll go back to that?!?!?! It was very uncomfortable when I sat down, especially in the car.
    I finally gave up and bought a Kel-Tec .380...It fits the thunderwear nicely with a slight mod. I also bought a DeSantis pocket holster. At least now I carry it 24/7 and I don't get made anymore at all. Good Luck, DBL TAP
  11. I can well understand your frustration, dbl. I have much the same problem, which is mostly why I never carry a 1911, much as I like them. Fortunately, here in Colorado, concealment is not quite as difficult as where you live, even in the summertime. For one thing, males wearing vests (which is what I use in the summer) is a common sight around here so one does not look conspicuous or out of place with one on. In the winter, of course, coats are the order of the day which makes concealment rather easy. My solution to the problem was a Glock 33, by the way, though I also often carry a Sig P-230 or a Smith 637.
  12. durk

durk New Member

Do you use a pocket holster for that .38?
  13. sorral

sorral New Member

I build custom carry riggs for myself and my friends( I do nice leather work) and I usually have my buddies try on my holster and then tell me what they would like different...you should try on some holsters..a good shop should be willing to let you try some on if you are serious to buy
  14. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

durk,
    Yea, Uncle Mike's...for the 642.
  15. Kardar2

Kardar2 Guest

Cograts My friend Welcome to the club of CCW
  16. bdfinst

bdfinst New Member

To answer the pistol question, I carry a Kahr T-40. It's about the size of a combat commander (I have hands too large to shoot a smaller pistol well). It also has a smooth DAO trigger. I wanted the longer pull to minimize the chances of a ND under stress.
  17. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I carry a Taurus PT-92, but I am wearing tie and Jacket most of thr time. Belt carry, strong side.
  18. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

really i carry a taurus pt 99 with a 3 slot pancake holster with one on the chamber no safety and half cocked, bottom line is how fast can you pull it when you need to used it. so depending on your basic needs and the level of risk you believe you should choose what is more confortable, safe and quick. no perpetrator is going to ask you where or how you carry.
    gl
  19. durk

durk New Member

20. sorral

sorral New Member

I carry a glock 22 or a full sized 1911.. the holsters I use, I build myself (I like leather work). I carr strong side on the hip