concealed carry

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by rick's red dawg, Jan 23, 2007.

1. bdfinst

bdfinst New Member

To answer the pistol question, I carry a Kahr T-40. It's about the size of a combat commander (I have hands too large to shoot a smaller pistol well). It also has a smooth DAO trigger. I wanted the longer pull to minimize the chances of a ND under stress.
  2. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I carry a Taurus PT-92, but I am wearing tie and Jacket most of thr time. Belt carry, strong side.
  3. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

really i carry a taurus pt 99 with a 3 slot pancake holster with one on the chamber no safety and half cocked, bottom line is how fast can you pull it when you need to used it. so depending on your basic needs and the level of risk you believe you should choose what is more confortable, safe and quick. no perpetrator is going to ask you where or how you carry.
    gl
  4. durk

durk New Member

5. sorral

sorral New Member

I carry a glock 22 or a full sized 1911.. the holsters I use, I build myself (I like leather work). I carr strong side on the hip
  6. martbo

martbo New Member

For semi-autos, I used to prefer the FOBUS 360 rotopaddle. But with a recent purchase, the dealer suggested a the new BlackHawk CQC Serpa level 2. It came with the attachments to make it a belt holster or a paddle holster. Although it won't adjust as much as the rotopaddle, you can still adjust it to several angles of carry. The CQC also reinforces keeping your finger off the trigger when drawing since you have to use it to press the release button.
  7. Brian@ITC

Brian@ITC New Member

Glock 19 in a Blade-Tech IWB holster at the 4 o'clock position.

Train hard, train often, and train REALISTICALLY!!!
    Modern Warrior Talk
    "High Impact Training"
    “Serious tactics for serious situations!”
    Check our Advanced Pistol Fighting Course out in the April 2008 issue of SWAT Magazine! The article is titled Unarmed and Armed Combatives
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I carry an Sp101 in 357 Mag in either a Simply Rugged Pocket Protector or a Silver Dollar Pancake. For seated carry I use a Ken Null Vampire.
  9. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Red Dawg et al;

This a very interesting subject. As pointed out it has answers into infinity as well and most are worth considering as they are for the most part from people who are already carrying to some degree.

But based upon my own experience as a retail dealer, instructor and CCW holder and carrier I have some thoughts before you spend too much. I might add that mine might be only an extension of what others are trying very politely to tell you in their answers.

Before you spend too much, see if a friend or some of your local police officers(someone you know) already have some holsters and ask them to let you try theirs before you buy.
    My point is that as someone else said, your gun is very large for a carry and hide gun. I suspect at some time, if you are really serious and plan to carry regularly you may trade it or buy another for your "primary" carry weapon so you will want to use caution when buying holsters at this point. Keep it simple for now.
    The other thing to remember and you already brought it up, is comfort and dress.
    Anyone who is carrying (every day) and has for any length of time has more than one holster. Depending on my dress and my activities for the day, different holsters apply and no one will do all.

Many have pointed out very good, quality holsters for you to choose and IMHO they are very good quality.
    Galco, D Hume, DeSantis are excellent but not cheap. There are some very good Kydex or plastic holsters also and I personally carry here in Phoenix due to the extreme heat. I don't sweat through onto my gun in the Kydex inside the pants as I do with my Humes or Galcos. I wear shorts a lot also and have had to work to find clothes to accommodate my gun(s) for concealment.

That is the other reason for taking your time in selecting a holster for you and your gun.
    What will you wear and what will be your activities when you get where you are going?
    When I wear shorts I have a tan colored short sleeve large pocket shirt. They are hard to find but I just pull it on and leave it unbuttoned as a jacket. Even at 100 degrees plus it is comfortable to wear into the bank or post office or other places while I am shopping and no one suspects.
    Regardless of your size, for all of you, this is the kind of pull-on that will work. You can use any shirt one or two sizes big and put it on over your normal dress to hide your gun and have it ready and very easy to draw. Practice "sweeping" your shirt tail as you bring your gun hand to your gun butt. It is easy and very quick.

Point being, don't rush, try some if you can before you buy, be certain that the gun you now have is the gun you will stay with (most of us have more than one) and remember also that you will eventually have more than one holster. I do not recommend several guns, find one you really like and stay with it so you are not constantly retraining and your muscle memory becomes adapted to one specific set of sights, grips, releases etc. This can be critical.
    AS said also stay away from the behind the back for the reasons already given. Your gun is almost always "trapped" unless you are standing up and away from any objects and very difficult to draw from.

Kenny