concealed carry

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by scottShryock, Apr 4, 2008.

1. scottShryock

scottShryock New Member

Guys Recently I got a ccpermit , My gun of choice is a S&W 4046 in 40 cal , I usually carry it SOB . My wife is always concerned about it printing . I suppose thats a good thing always be aware . Recently ive given thought to a Makarov re chambered for a 32 naa for better concealabilty. That allows me to purchase the Guardian in a 32 naa for her to carry What thought out there? Scott
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd need to rechamber the Mak to make it a good carry gun.
    But if you like that .32 NAA, and you can easily get it, then by all means go for it. I've never been around it, but it seems reasonable as a self defense round.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I don't know if I would worry about printing so much here in Spokane. If there was anywhere in the state I would feel comfortable open-carry, it would be here!

If you are real worried about printing and stuff you might want to give a look to some of the tiny shooters out there, the Walther PPS or a Kahr. I don't know much about Kel Teks but there were some good deals at the gun show at the fairgrounds today. No good deals on much else, that I could find anyway, but oh well.

Where do you shoot? I'm at Sharpshooters normally every Sunday after church, and other times during the week if I get a chance too.
  4. chachy

chachy New Member

I have a Kahr CW9 that I use for summer carry, in a pocket or IWB holster. It is a small and easily concealed 9mm, great weapon.
  5. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Hey Scott;

I am not so concerned about your printing or changing calibers, (the gun you have is adequate) but more so to HOW or Where you carry.
    It is true with your SOB holster, when you are standing up straight the gun is out of sight, you win one.

But my concerns for SOB carry is that under nearly every circumstance your gun is trapped when you may need it most.
    Sit down in your car, trapped, sit down in a restaraunt, trapped. In addition, I warn my students of the possible, serious spine injuries if you are to get knocked on your ass prior to going for your gun. It has happened again just recently to an off duty police officer and is now doubtful he is going to be able to return to his department any time in the near furture.
    Two things, most people wind up with more than one gun for their carry. (Idon't necessarily agree) but they do.
    second; Most everyone has more than one carrry device for their gun whatever it may be as how we carry is often dictated by so many variables such as weather, heat/cold dress, activities when you reach your destination etc.

Do some shopping and keep some of the ideas above foremeost in your mind and then remember carrying concealed is a very persoanal thing, do NO go cheap when making your carry device decisions.

UF
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would look around for something in a 9MM as a minimun. If you get into a situation where you are forced to use you CCW a 32 (Unless it's a 327 mag)is going to feel pretty small. The previously mention Kahr, an XD Subcompact or a small revolver such as a S&W 340 in scandium. There are many more options I didn't mention.

Several of the alternatives can be pocket carried.
  7. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

I have been carrying concealed for about two years now and I can tell you that an IWB is the most comfortable and more importantly accessable option. As UF has said SOB has some serious limitations based on what position you are in, for me IWB on my right side has been the best. Keep in mind I practice, practice, practice as well.
  8. 5_Shooter

5_Shooter New Member

I use the Glock 19 IWB, and my .38 Snub goes in a pocket holster.
  9. scottShryock

scottShryock New Member

Thank you all good points . When i m riding in a car it goes between the seat ,also I have the option of switching to IWB on left .I have been researching other smaller guns and purchased a Makarov (polish p64)at Collector Arms in a 9MM Mak for a second ,and cant wait to run a couple hundred rounds to loosen it a bit I ve found Corbon makes Ammo for it WHooeeeee Scott
  10. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 New Member

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of "small" guns. My CC is a Ruger KP345. It conceals well with a IWB holster on the right side. I shoot Hornaday +P, 230-Grain JHP,@ 950 fps The grip length of my 345 is the exact same as a XD sub-compact or a Taurus Mill Pro.

I carry my spare magazine in a old Gerber Multitool holster, I also carry, a Tactical light, a Gerber knife and Pepper spray. Hopefull none of them will ever need to be used.
  11. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

I used to CC ... I used a S&W 10 4" with full wc handloads ... I realized on day that I mainly carry "in full view" ... I really don't want to have someone come after me and I have to shoot them ... I want them to see me and think twice about doing anything ... Just might save someones life ... Like maybe even mine ... :)

Nowdays if I feel the need to carry, I have the choice of a shortified Mossberg 500 in a custom inverted scabbard and a Ruger SBH 6" with drop loop buscadero rig ...
    http://www.oldtradingpost.com/weste...oop-Buscadero-With-Single-Holster-p-2814.html

Just not sure how this is gonna work with my utilikilt ...