Concealed Choice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by JJMilmore, Mar 30, 2005.

1. JJMilmore

JJMilmore New Member

I am looking for a concealed firearm and have narrowed down to 3 types, but need a little help of suggestions or info on them. This will be for all day events 1-4 times per week with mostly sitting. It needs to be very concealible.

1) Beretta 9000s .40
    2) S&W 357 2"-4" barrel titanium (revolver)
    3) S&W 357 3"-4" barrel steel (revolver)

I dont know of anyone that has these that I could try, so I feel limited to personal reviews, friends, and forums. I had a beretta 96 vantec and loved the feel of it.

Some have told me the titanium revolvers kick much more, but would it be taht bad? I was just thinking for carrying it that much, the weight and smallness would be much more comfortible.

Please let me know any info you have on them, or experiences with them. thanks, JJ
  2. JJMilmore

JJMilmore New Member

I just read the post on the S&W Airweights, it seems that they are not as great as they seem from most of the responces.

So now I am down to the Beretta and S&W Steel revolver.

Has anyone even tried the Beretts?
  3. rnshooter

rnshooter New Member

i carry a beretta 9000s .40 daily and love it. i carry it in a iwb holster by don hume and forget that i have it on most of the time. great gun!! hope this helps.

be safe
  4. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

I have a Ruger sp101 (spurless) .357 revolver (carried mostly in the winter) and a S & W 642 .38+P Airweight for summer carry...gotta love the ease of DAO internal hammers....
  5. JJMilmore

JJMilmore New Member

Thanks for the replies, they realy help since I dont know of anyone that carries any of the three.
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I'd go with one of the revolvers.

Is there a range in your area where you could rent examples of the guns? Try ALL THREE of the guns, if possible, and pick the one that feels best for you.

--JohnK
  7. ArmyCop

ArmyCop New Member

Although my Ruger P94 .40 cal is my favorite - I find myself most often carrying my Taurus .38 snubby. Fits in the front or rear pocket so easy while my Ruger takes a little more effort to carry concealed.
  8. JJMilmore

JJMilmore New Member

unfortunetly the range I goto doesnt have any, even the local gun shops are really limmited on stock.

But I just got refered to the Sig 239 .40 and am very interested in it. Seems to get better reviews and all my professors (college computer engineers) suggest it for my use.

There is a gunshow in hillsborrow this weekend and I might drive across oregon to at least get a feel of these.
  9. JJMilmore

JJMilmore New Member

Well I finally decided and purchased a S&W 640 357. Haven't had a chance to go target practice today due to bad weather and the range is out doors.

Thanks again for all the help, JJ
  10. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Good choice. I've shot the 640 and I really liked it. I just got a better deal on my Ruger sp101....
  11. JJMilmore

JJMilmore New Member

ya, I just got back from trying it out. OMG I was supprised at the accuracy. Some people warned me to never get anything under a 4" barral, but at $425.00 for it new I couldn't say no. Using .38 +P rounds my friend and I were hitting 3/5 shots on target at 50-70 yards. and 5/5 within 20 yards. The weight (although not air-weight) was great for carrying. And the kick was not bad at all.

Only downfall I found was 5 round cap (which is fine for defence but sucks on range) and the gun stores here were out of spead loaders :(

Next I will be trying to find a laser; I found one site selling Crimson Trace for $180.

This, hard to admit, is more accurate then my Beretta 96.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Smith's Ti-Lite line is substantially lighter than your 640. The M-342, a 38 S&W Spl, is the spitting image of your 640, at 10 1/2 oz, empty. Their trigger lock weighs more than the revolver!
    337PD is a blued .38 spl, with a hammer, like a model 36, or 60, also 10 1/2 ozs.
    Either must become habit, because WEIGHT won't tell you it's there!
    Just a thought. Terry
  13. brush_buster

brush_buster New Member

My gun of choice is the new XD-40 subcompact. It is fun to shoot and I've never had a malfunction with either factory or handloads.
  14. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

Good choice on the 640. Full boat 357mags out of that little gun will be a bit to handle, but nothing like those titaniaum revolvers. Those things feel like you're shooting a bullet out of your finger.
  15. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

My favorite round for the .38 snubby is the hydrashock low recoil rounds. Firing pairs with either hand accurately is cake; report is moderate and muzzle flip low. They have a thick metal jacket and the wide gaping hollow point is all business. But when you got a .357, it hard not to load it full power.