concensus on the reliability of AR's

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by al45lc, Feb 24, 2012.

1. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Several AK guys are telling me AR's jam all the time, and most are highly unreliable. Of course, they're AK guys, and might be bias.
    With all the different manufacturers out there, what is the truth and which does one avoid?
  2. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I don't think they have had that problem since the M-16A1.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive got the Stag AR and the only problems I have ever had with it,
    was when I first got it, I got me some cheap-crappy ammo and yeah..
    found out real fast you dont shoot crappy ammo through them!

Good ammo and keeping "it" clean and I havent had any issue's since.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i had a mattel made C-AR back when , 30,000 rnd , 2 barrels a few spares along the way but it was drove hard , chucked into saddle bags and truck trays

never had a real issue other than the gas port blocking but a good soak and clean fixed that for another 4-5000 rounds

i had a AR -10 in .7.62 NATO , that got a pounding for a while but became a safe queen/ open day shooter ..

the aussified M4 we use here are good platforms , my only complaint is i'd rather a 7.62 x 39 or something ..

i've a lot of time for the AK but as in a 5.56 config gimme a AR ..
  5. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    The AR is as reliable as an AK is accurate. ;)
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

just get one of each
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Heck man I get jammed AK's just as much as AR's. AR's is usually ammo related or a misaligned gas system. AK's are usually mags or one that is out or wack right out of the box.
  8. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I have a cheap S&W M&P and haven't had a single jam. Shot it fast, slow, and in between. Used cheap American Eagle, cheaper steel case, and reloads. Nothing but smooth accurate firearm. Can only imagine how sweet a Stag would be zane, or a LMT or any of the big name brands. AR platform won me over real quick and I LOVE it!
  9. Zane71464

Hey A.L., Sounds like your S&W is right on!
    I shoot the American Eagle (federal) ammo through my Stag and it
    likes them well! (just like to use soft tips to hunt with)
    When I was talking aboult the "cheap" ammo, I was talking more of
    the Tula ammo.
    Mine also likes the Remington UMC ammo, I buy the HP's in that
    for the coyote hunting and they shoot very well in the Stag.
  10. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

My M&P loves hot reloads, same round I use in my VTR. Kinda suprised cause the VTR has a longer barrel but it makes reloading a lot easier.:D
  11. Smoke

Smoke Member

A semi-auto rifle is always a problem, the only gun worse is a full-auto rifle it seems the faster it shoots the more trouble you will have with it.
    The only rifle I have that never jams is a bolt action battle rifle.
    As far as the AK & AR they both jam just about the same, the only difference is when the AK jams I pull the mag out, smack the butt of the gun on the ground or table, pull the charging handle back, clear the jammed round, snap the mag back in & blast away.
    When the AR jams it normally locks up tight, I pull the mag out & then try to pull the charging handle, if the handle doesn't pull I set the gun a side to take home to take apart.
    I'm just saying that the AK will take a little more rough handling than the AR will.
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

For the love of god stay away from that Tula crap. If you insist on shooting please pay attention to how the gun sounds when fired. Still a lot of underpowered and squibs loads from them. Just replaced a barrel on a Kahr PM9 bc of that crap.
  13. Zane71464

So very true Helix!
    I ran into problems within about 30 rounds of the "stuff". One round
    jammed and had to take the AR apart to get the fired caseing out.
    (bad stuff)
  14. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Im looking at the S&W AR 556 brand new for 600 bucks is that a good deal.
  15. Zane71464

Not real sure about the S&W's, but when I was looking to buy an AR,
    the GS had 3 differnt model's there at his shop, lower end and right
    up to the higher end. (price wise)
  16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

For the last 30 years I've been more than happy with my Ruger Mini-14 rifle, but last summer I got a wild hair and decided to put together an AR-15. I got a stripped lower from my local gun store and bought the rest of the parts online from Rock River Arms. Now I have a super accurate 5.56 caliber semi-automatic rifle that's been 100% reliable so far. The functional rifle was $815 and then I spent a couple of hundred more dollars on accessories like ammo magazines and a scope. I haven't had so much fun with a weapon platform in a long time. As with any other firearm, there are things that can go wrong, but I think that the AR has had about 50 years to get the bugs worked out of it. :cool:
  17. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Thats a pretty decent deal. They average right below 6 around here. Its a good running gun.
  18. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We build AR15 and AR10 platform guns professionally, AND do a lot of custom stuff with AK variants. Properly done, the AR platform is as reliable as any other. 'Reliability' to most people means that the gun feeds, fires and ejects and those are primarily due to ammunition and magazine choices. Use quality stuff, you get quality results.

We offer a lifetime warranty on our rifles because we use quality components. We do NOT warranty use with Tula ammunition, specifically, because that ammunition has very poor quality control.

As for the lowest end S&W, DPMS, etc, look carefully what you are buying. Does it have M4 feed ramps, is it on a polymer receiver, how well is the gas key staked, does it have an ejection port door, what's the warranty and how compatible will it be for future upgrades? I know folks will say that a polymer receiver is fine, lasts just as well as aluminum, but I've seen too many split down the front of the receiver (there's a seam) and we won't build on them.

You do NOT need to spend $1000 to get a reliable AR-style rifle (but we welcome anybody who wants to). Ours are all forged 7075 aluminum, with M4 feed ramps, ejection port door and forward assist, lifetime warranty, tactical soft case and are absolutely compatible with any aftermarket stuff anyone might want for $649.

S&W and DPMS put out good products. Just make sure the features you want are there.
  19. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

For most anything any of us will need it for, the AR is as reliable as it needs to be, if kept clean and properly lubed. In a prolonged firefight in dirty or dusty conditions that can be a different story. In a nutshell, accurate firearms require tighter tolerances, tighter tolerances produce more finicky firearms. Yeah the AK is less susceptible to malfunction due to dirt. That's the difference between a 4.0 MOA or greater rifle and a 1.5 MOA or less rifle. You have to decide which is more important.
  20. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

In my area, there aren't ARs on the shelf for under $700. And I'm not really far from you at all. That's a good price.

But I'd look strongly at Stone Chimney's stuff if I were you. It's a lot more gun for less than $100 more (after shipping and transfer).
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012