concensus on the reliability of AR's

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by al45lc, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

CA legal ones with the non-detachable, 10 round mag go for $900+
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Here about a couple months ago, the local w-"mert" had one in and a couple a weeks ago, they had 3 of them in. Suprised me.
    (didnt have time to "wait" on the person at the desk to check them out)
  3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I have a s&w sport ,paid $595 for it an have 700 rounds fired . Goes bang ever time. More accurate than I expected too.

Shoot junk expect problems, don't clean it and sooner or later expect problems.

If you still worried?? Buy a single shot.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

I'd go with an AR15 with a piston and NO FA.
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I have the Armalite M15 A4 rifle and the Yugo M70 AB2. Neither have EVER jammed, with about 2,000 rounds thru the AR and more like 4,000 in the AK. I have cleaned both, but take much better care of the AR. I think a large part of the AK's reliability lies in the sharper angle of the cartridge body, and the heavier construction of the bolt.
    There is a thread on AR15.com about a guy who has run 15,000 rounds of Wolf thru an AR with no cleaning. I would sooner rely on my Armalite than my AK if TSHTF. So wut if it needs to be cleaned? The BCG comes apart with no tools, and if you don't have time, just dump oil in thru the BCG vents. The Ak would be more durable in the absolute, like if I had to swim to my target or hide-out, but the accuracy of the AR trumps all in "normal" conditions. My AR has a relatively fragile scope, and that's the definitive line IMO. I handle the whole rifle with that in mind. The AK is more powerful, out to 300 meters, but the AR can place the round in a 4~5" area at the same distance. I would expect to shoot the AR less, because I would expect to hit in the right place much more often.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012