Confirming the charge

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Airborne1101, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Airborne1101

Airborne1101 New Member

A question on how often you confirm the charges you are throwing are within tolerances? I have read several different intervals from every 5th throw up to 25-30. Being new at this I am probably more careful than seasoned reloaders. I use a bench mounted Lee and throw 4 in the brass and the next in the pan to confirm. I assume after time when you can trust the equipment more that number will change. Just newbie trying to get smart.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I first set up a charge, I check every one of them until I see that they are staying the same, up to about a dozen times. Then, I will check mine every 10 to 15 throws, just to make sure.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I started out checking every throw. Then moved to every 5. Now I check every 10. I find that in loading as much as 500 rounds, I might have to adjust once or twice within the first 100 rounds, or less, then no more adjustments are needed. I still check em though!
  4. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Every time I sit down to reload I check the powder drop on the scale. I will throw ten at the weight I want before I start loading cases. Once that is good I check once in the middle and the last one. I look in every case before I set the bullet on to be seated for a double check.
    Rusty
  5. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Good question.....I generally check every tenth round on the scale. I use a RCBS Uniflow with a graduated drum and it has been extremely consistant over the years.

Some reloaders set their powder measure to throw a few grains under, and trickle each charge up to the desired amount, this adds extra time to the loading process, but is great for producing accurate loads.
  6. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I will check the first few of my 10 (2 or 3) Then about 1 every 40 rounds or so there after.
  7. islenos

islenos New Member

I put the powder on the scales every single time. But then again I'm loading for a 3/8" MOA Match Rifle. Each time the weight varies only slightly but when your shoot at a target 1000yards away, you want everything perfect.

Yep, that's me
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  8. Bboomer

Bboomer New Member

For general Plinking:

I always check at regular intervals, quite frequently as a matter of fact, especially when I'm loading with a manual press. But thats not to say that I don't check every once in a while on the progressives either.

Once the loading block is full of charged cases I then take an L.E.D. flashlight and examin / compare them all to one another before stuffing.

For plain ole accuracy loads:

Every charge