considering a suppressor

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jce07a, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jce07a

jce07a New Member

i have a couple builds planned for the future, i plan on suppressing both of the two new guns im building. I am going for a suppressed SBR (not sure if i am going for standard AR look, ACR, or SCAR) and a ruger 10/22 that i can suppress for varmint near the house (i dont wanna waste .223 or 5.56 ammo on a squirrel when a .22lr will do). my question is, if i were to buy a suppressor (say the gemtech halo), would i be able to swap it back and forth between my 10/22 and my AR? would i need to pay a certain tax for it to go on the 10/22 and a separate one for the AR?
    i figure there wouldnt be much caliber issue because the two rounds are so similar in diameter or pressure because the halo is designed for 5.56 so i dont see why it shouldnt be able to work effectively with a .22lr.
    basically, once i buy a suppressor (and of course the standard $200 BATF tax stamp) can i put it on whatever gun i own that i care to put it on or do i have to buy a halo and an outback IID?
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

the tax stamp is for the supressor.. it's it's own NFA weapon.. it has a threaded port right? IE.. it's not married to a gun in which case it's a supressed weapon with 1 single stamp.

slug diameter for a .223 is . ( .224 )
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If you buy a .223/5.56 suppressor, it'll work on a .22 LR as well. The pressure generated by the .223 will destroy a silencer designed for the .22 LR, so don't try it. But the other way around is fine.

And like Soundguy said, the silencer can be mounted on whatever you want. As long as that thing is something you own legally, of course.
  4. soundguy

might be a good area for them oil filter supressors with t he registered bbl nut.. :)
  5. jce07a

jce07a New Member

Are there different threads? Or are all suppressors threaded the same?
  6. jce07a

jce07a New Member

Also, I may be fixin to get an M1A from a buddy, y'all think I'd be better off getting a suppressor for a .308 and using it for all of the above? If I did that, how much efficiency would I lose in having a 7.62 suppressor on a 5.56 or .22lr?
  7. soundguy

if you are wanting to use different cal weapons.. i'd look into that company that sells a bbl thread nut that you then screw an oil filter can on.. shoot it up and toss the can...
  8. CampingJosh

You can get different threads. Of course, you can also get thread adapters to mate anything to anything else.

If you get something .22 caliber, go with 1/2-28 threads. That's the standard on AR barrels.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you build a "suppressed short barreled rifle", there is only one 200 dollar stamp, but the silencer is PART of the rifle. It cannot be removed and put on another gun. If you wish to silence your 10/22, you gotta buy another can, and there's another 200 dollars.

Or you can paper a short barreled rifle (with a threaded muzzle) for 200 and get a 223 can with another 200 dollars, and use the can on either gun.

Either way you look at it, you will have to do two 200-dollar tax stamps. But if you paper the rifle and paper the can separately, you only have to buy one can. If you do the S-SBR, and then want to silence something else, there's another 500 or so for the second can.
  11. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Ok bad information here. DO NOT use a 5.56/ 223 suppressor especially non serviceable ones in a 22lr! 22lr are VERY dirty if you put those rounds through a sealed 5.56 can your going to gunk it up.

If you want to buy a suppressor the best bang for your buck to start with is a USER SERVICEABLE ( take apart ) 22lr can. Do the research there is a difference between brands you want to get the one that does the best at what it does.

I own a outback ii mine has been jailbroke ( made user serviceable ) but it is a great suppressor though there are better choices. The more you plan on using it the more you need to clean it.

The "oil filter" thing is a bad idea for legal reasons.

A suppressor IS a firearm according to the ATF so you buy one you get the tax stamp and you can put it on any firearm you wish to. The only exception is if you want to avoid a two stamp SBR you can permanently attach the suppressor the the short barrel making it the legal 16" or more and then it woudl not be a SBR however then you woudl be unable to move the suppressor between weapons.

You can use a suppressor on any smaller caliber as long as it is within specks for pressure. Again do NOT use any sealed large caliber suppressor on a 22lr.

As for threads 22lr and 5.56 both use 1/2x28 as the standard. The issue is with LENGTH! Most 22lr threads are .400 the AR threads are .600. If your 22lr is threaded to long you will erode the blast baffle. These a GENERAL sizes the suppressor you buy will tell you what size ( remember thread size includes LENGTH ) you need to make it work best.

Also another note on caliber swapping. Suppressors have there bore cut to the caliber they are designed to work with. Using a suppressor with a larger then needed through hole will decrease the effectiveness of it.
  12. soundguy

You must have been refering to your own post ;)

You might want to do a lil research, and then come back and edit your post!,

this might give you more info.

i specifically said registered BBL nut ...

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=107975

so NO.. it's NOT a bad legal idea.. It's a LEGAL idea that costs you the 200$ tax stamp and a form 4.

all it takes is a lil research.......
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. CampingJosh

Yeah, Maine's info here is a good supplement to what I said. It's been so long since I've seen a sealed silencer that I forgot they were even still for sale. Do keep an eye out.

Realistically, just avoid sealed cans. The ones that are user serviceable are often marked working for lots of calibers. This one from the local-to-me manufacturer says you can use it with 5.56, 5.45, .22 Hornet, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .17 HMR, and .17 Mach 2.
  14. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I know EXACTLY what you where talking about. IT IS A BAD IDEA. As per BATF regs suppressor parts ARE NOT legal for user to replace. This means that BY law if you change the filter on this your have committed a felony. This is why the majority of dealers will not touch this. So yes it is a VERY bad legal idea. The "Econo-Can" can has a ATF letter BUT HAS NOT BEEN TESTED. This means if you buy one it is likely you will not be keeping it.
  15. soundguy

last i heard they had issued a statement about repalceable wipes.

anyone else heard about this?