1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

considering a suppressor

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jce07a, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

You misunderstood me. Rimfire cans and pistol caliber cans are great user serviceable. Rifle cans not so. Rifles put out ALLOT more pressure and take apart cans in these calibers are not even made by most of the big companies for good reason. Most every quality rifle suppressor is WELDED together as threads are a weak point.

Huntertown makes good cans. I have a Kestrel myself great can.
  2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

ALL suppressor parts with the exception of a few TYPES of wipes are illegal for any person NOT a maker ( form 1 makers EXCLUDED ) or SOT 2 to replace. Even brillo pads are on the verboten list. This includes endcaps, pistons, baffles and tubes.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

No, we're on the same page. You made an important point that I forgot. All the shops around here carry Huntertown because they're local. Even at the huge gun show at the state fair grounds (1500+ tables), I only saw Huntertown and Thompson Machine, both of which make user serviceable centerfire rifle cans. I genuinely forgot that sealed cans are still out there, because I haven't had any interaction with one for several years.

Huntertown guarantees their suppressors against everything except stupid, and they'll even clean it for you at no charge if you can't get it clean. I don't have a suppressor for anything centerfire yet, but I would definitely get one that is user serviceable over a sealed one. Maybe that opinion will change as I get more experience, but that's where I stand for now.
  4. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I have a few and have had for many years. I myself would not buy a serviceable rifle caliber can. First you would have to put super round count through it to worry about build up as centerfire rounds are much cleaner then say rimfire. Second a sealed can has almost no chance of coming apart. AAC has a great test they love to show off at demo's where they take a 5.56 suppressor and put it on a .308 rifle and fire 30 rounds into it the rounds jam up in the can but the can stays in one piece. This would not be the case with a serviceable can. A rimfire can can be seized up with 4 bricks ( serviceable cans need to have all mating surfaces coated with anti seize and shoudl be loosened up after every use while warm to prevent locking up) My Outback 2 was packed after 1 year of use before I jailbroke it. On the other hand my .308 suppresses has had around 6 thousand rounds through it and it weighs 3 grams more then it did new. Now my heavy 5.56 can that I use on my m16 using cheap ammo and allot of it over 5 cases ( 1000 rounds each ) this summer alone got a bit dirty but a quick bath in "the dip" and all is well. I clean all my serviceable cans with a soda blaster it takes all the gunk off and will not harm the metal it is made of. Like new in a 10 min.
  5. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I have chatted with two different SOT's about this. The "Econo-Can" is a odd bird. It comes with a oil filter INSTALLED on it already. YOU the owner are NOT legally allowed to change it ( though I suspect many do ). By law you have to send it back to them OR a SOT2 to have the filter replaced. If you do it yourself you have made a suppressor ( suppressor parts ) that is violating federal law with up to a 250,000.00$ fine and up to 10 years in jail. Also as the ATF says OWNING spare parts for a suppressor is illegal then if you where to have one of these and a spare filter for your car in the garage you are also violating the law.

For the price spend another 125 will get a cheap real suppressor and 225 will get you a outback ii.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Maine;

Have you ever used your rifle suppressor on an SBR? If so, does that seem to gunk it up any quicker?
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Maine; if I decide to get a suppressor, it will be for a .308 rifle, and I don't want something that I have to fool with very much. Any recomendaions?
  8. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Like this? Though not a SBR it is a machine gun and there fore length is irrelevant. And no I put 6 plus cases ( 1000 rounds a case ) of dirty nasty Wolf ( cause it is cheap ) this summer and have zero issues. Even on a semi a SBR will make no noticeable difference in build up. Unless it is a rimefire of course.

http://youtu.be/lAPDLp9rxDo
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

What are you going to shoot?
    Semi or bolt?
    How much are you going to shoot? IE mag dumps out of the ar10 or 10 shots out of the bolt rifle every 3rd weekend?
    And the BIG question how much do you wanna spend?
  10. jce07a

jce07a New Member

talked to the guys from gem-tech, they told me their sealed cans for 5.56 were perfectly fine shooting .22lr. the guy i spoke with told me his personal can had over 10,000 rounds of .22lr and 5,000 rounds of 5.56 through it and hasnt had any sort of significant decrease in performance. i was also informed that you can soak a sealed can in cleaner designed for suppressors and it works just as well as cleaning a servicable one.
  11. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

You where LIED to!!! They also made the outback for many years sealed saying there was no need to ever clean a 22 suppressor.

Will it work to quiet the firearm yes. Will it work as well as a 22 suppressor NO. Will the build up be more in the 5.56 can if you shoot 22lr YES. Can you use "the dip" to clean out lead from shooting 22lr in a sealed can YES. Remember "the dip" can ONLY be used on ALL STEEL cans it will eat aluminum cans. Ever the best cleaner out there will NOT remove all lead and fouling form shooting 22lr through a rifle can. Here are a few pictures of what builds up after a couple thousand round of 22lr this is one of MY suppressors. Please tell me how anything would clean this out of a SEALED can it is lead and carbon and hard as a rock.

Before you vote tomorrow Obama says he believes in the second he lied to.

FYI this is a MY PERSONAL GemTech outback2 I bought several years ago. It has been jailbroke to allow cleaning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are what they look like AFTER soda blasting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Haven't even begun to shop yet, so I don't really know what they sell for. However, I want quality, not junk! I have both a bolt gun, and a semi-auto, but was thinking about suppressing the bolt gun for hunting.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I just hate it when I see the panties getting knotted up !!!
    Rodney King is dead......and our attitudes towards one
    another surely sometimes proves it.
    And it ain't just here....it is widespread. I still hate it.
  14. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

As with any person new to the suppressor arena I recommend a quality 22lr suppressor for you first. This can be moved form any 22 pistol or rifle you have and will get allot of use.
  15. Liberty Suppressors

Liberty Suppressors New Member

Well said!