considering a suppressor

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jce07a, Oct 2, 2012.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Maine;

Have you ever used your rifle suppressor on an SBR? If so, does that seem to gunk it up any quicker?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Maine; if I decide to get a suppressor, it will be for a .308 rifle, and I don't want something that I have to fool with very much. Any recomendaions?
  3. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Like this? Though not a SBR it is a machine gun and there fore length is irrelevant. And no I put 6 plus cases ( 1000 rounds a case ) of dirty nasty Wolf ( cause it is cheap ) this summer and have zero issues. Even on a semi a SBR will make no noticeable difference in build up. Unless it is a rimefire of course.

http://youtu.be/lAPDLp9rxDo
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

What are you going to shoot?
    Semi or bolt?
    How much are you going to shoot? IE mag dumps out of the ar10 or 10 shots out of the bolt rifle every 3rd weekend?
    And the BIG question how much do you wanna spend?
  5. jce07a

jce07a New Member

talked to the guys from gem-tech, they told me their sealed cans for 5.56 were perfectly fine shooting .22lr. the guy i spoke with told me his personal can had over 10,000 rounds of .22lr and 5,000 rounds of 5.56 through it and hasnt had any sort of significant decrease in performance. i was also informed that you can soak a sealed can in cleaner designed for suppressors and it works just as well as cleaning a servicable one.
  6. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

You where LIED to!!! They also made the outback for many years sealed saying there was no need to ever clean a 22 suppressor.

Will it work to quiet the firearm yes. Will it work as well as a 22 suppressor NO. Will the build up be more in the 5.56 can if you shoot 22lr YES. Can you use "the dip" to clean out lead from shooting 22lr in a sealed can YES. Remember "the dip" can ONLY be used on ALL STEEL cans it will eat aluminum cans. Ever the best cleaner out there will NOT remove all lead and fouling form shooting 22lr through a rifle can. Here are a few pictures of what builds up after a couple thousand round of 22lr this is one of MY suppressors. Please tell me how anything would clean this out of a SEALED can it is lead and carbon and hard as a rock.

Before you vote tomorrow Obama says he believes in the second he lied to.

FYI this is a MY PERSONAL GemTech outback2 I bought several years ago. It has been jailbroke to allow cleaning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are what they look like AFTER soda blasting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Haven't even begun to shop yet, so I don't really know what they sell for. However, I want quality, not junk! I have both a bolt gun, and a semi-auto, but was thinking about suppressing the bolt gun for hunting.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. ozo

ozo Active Member

I just hate it when I see the panties getting knotted up !!!
    Rodney King is dead......and our attitudes towards one
    another surely sometimes proves it.
    And it ain't just here....it is widespread. I still hate it.
  9. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

As with any person new to the suppressor arena I recommend a quality 22lr suppressor for you first. This can be moved form any 22 pistol or rifle you have and will get allot of use.
  10. Liberty Suppressors

Liberty Suppressors New Member

Well said!
  11. Tigerstripe

Tigerstripe Member

excellent advise. ive heard of welded cans going back to the maker weighing several pounds, lead buildup from 22s.
    im not trying to keep anyone from buying a suppressor but they arent all they are cracked up to be.
    i think 22 cans are the best and a can on a bolt gun is good but a can on anAR, an m1a, and such, will burn your eyes SO bad its not funny. especially in full auto. dump a 30 rd mag and you will be firing the last 10 rds with your eyes closed and crying.
    any supersonic bullet is still going to be loud. you may not need hearing protection but its not quiet. it will confuse the enemy and make it harder to tell where you are.
    subsonic heavy bullets work the suppressor the way it is meant to work. im going with reloaded 220 gr 762x39 but 300 is really cool. a quiet shot and a hard heavy thwack on the hill behind the target.
    thats my experience, believe it or not.