Considering Reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jamierat, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Jamierat

Jamierat New Member

I am thinking about getting into reloading however the small indoor range I go to 4 times a week has on the door No Reloads. Why is this? Is it because they want to sell me ammo?
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Could be several reasons.
    Sell Ammo.
    Don't want people savaging around for brass.
    I'll bet the #1 reason is safety though. They do not want anyone to get hurt by an unsafe load. That, and the Liability Insurance factor.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think that Steve hit the nail on the head. That would put me out because reloads is all I shoot.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

For the most part its a liability issue. Stop the use of reloads and drastically reduce the possibility of an ammo related catasrophe on the range. Another huge reason is most indoor ranges sweep the brass up and re-sell it to ammo remanufacturers and once fired brass dealers. And a pile of worn out cases mixed in with the other once fired cases could spell catastrophe for the ammo remanufacturers and brass dealers reputations.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Range rules vary all over the place. For example one range wants no exposed lead bullet shot against their back stop. Others want only lead bullets. Still others want no lead at all. Still others ban steel core bullets. One checks the bullets for a steel core with a magnet not realizing some foreign bullet used steel jackets (??). Some ranges don't allow you to retrieve your own brass or shotgun shells once they hit the ground (I refuse to abide by that rule as I paid for them and they are mine). Some require you wear your stupid membership card around you neck even though their gate is locked and only members have the combo.

The only good range is one that has no range master and no one is there when you are shooting. I quit one range club when they got religion and forbade steel core ammo after we had been shooting it there for over ten years. Every time we go by there in the last few months no one is shooting. How did they win on that one?

One range I went to years ago hired Marines from the nearby marine base to act as range crew. I hated that range because I am not a marine recruit and refuse to treated like one.

I understand the need for some rules but I think that they have to be meaningful not arbitrary. There are people out there that break all safety rules when they go to the range and I will step up and tell them so as my life depends on them doing safety well.

Range business have a different set of "rules" to maximize their profits. That could mean reduced liability insurance or recycling brass or minimizing the damage to their back stops to reduce replacement costs. Unfortunately we have to follow their rules, dumb or not, and can only show our dissatisfaction with their rules with our feet, by walking.

Life is never easy!

LDBennett
  6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I faced that situation also. So, I do not go to the places that want me to only shoot factory stuff and then leave my perfectly good cases for them to have. I don't get to shoot near as frequent as I'd like but at least it's my own rules when I can.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have found that sometimes you just have to shoot at a range that won't allow reloads. The range I shoot at for my CHL is one of those ranges. I told my instructor up front that if he makes me buy factory ammo, then I get to keep the brass, he was OK with that. It is a liability issue, no reloads means cheaper insurance for the range owner.
  8. fishguts

fishguts Member

how do they shoot muzzelloades there? id just find a new range, sounds like a bunch of idots there anyway.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Some places, like in my area (High Desert in CA), there are NO indoor ranges. There is my club that now charges hundreds of dollars initiation fee (much less when I joined ten years ago and I now get a very inexpensive senior rate for dues) with only outdoor ranges and a 22LR only indoor NRA competition style range. I use to belong to a neat little range in the Sierras but they got religion and banned steel core surplus ammo so I don't go there anymore.

But I have a real advantage for now: the open desert. There are places where we can shoot 50BMG (actually 50DTC, a CA legal 50BMG wildcat) out to well over 700 yards. No modern range anywhere close allows us to shoot the 50 cal. But this open "range" is slowly closing as the environmentalists get their control over the BLM and Forest Service lands (we have to save the endangered frogs, butterflies, turtles, etc., you know). They brought a huge solar energy project in the open desert to a complete stop when they found more turtles then first thought. But for now we can still shoot out there (in certain areas, only).

So changing "ranges" often is not possible, if there is even one available. Some cities ban any ranges (think Washington DC). The world is closing in on shooters. Even wining Second Amendment Supreme Court cases seems to change nothing. Oh well, such is life.

LDBennett
  10. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Luckily for me, I can shoot pistols in the backyard but I go to our land about 10 minutes away to shoot rifles. There is an indoor range here but it is handgun calibers only (.22-.500 S&W). You can shoot rifles in pistol caliber though.
  11. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

What co's reman ammo and whats the difference between that and reloads
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Have you ever seen a dummy hurt himself?
  13. medalguy

medalguy Member

Just yesterday I went out on BLM land near me, and after shooting I scrounged all the brass lying on the ground. I picked up five .223 cases that were reloaded, all had the primers blown out, and very sharp nicks on the rear of the case where the ejector had pushed the case out, resulting in real dents and cuts on the case base and rim.

I'm sure someone will be wearing that rifle on their face pretty soon after looking over the cases. I would NOT want to be on a range next to that guy.
  14. korny351

korny351 New Member

I'd be looking for another range. But it might be worth your while to go there once in a while and clean up on once fired brass from the other shooters (with their permission of course).

Assuming the range doesn't have a "No brass pickup" rule as well.