constitution

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by runes, Jun 15, 2011.

1. runes

runes Member

I am curious. When I was in the military we took the oath to obey, uphold and protect the constitution. Do the police take this oath when they join?
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is my understanding that they do. I belong to an organization called oath keepers that is made up of those who have taken that oath at some point in their lives and will always promise to carry it out or obey it. Oath keepers was founded mainly because of all the talk of prison camps or disarming the citizens or just any order that may be given by our leaders that go against the constitution, so law officers or military personel wont follow orders to do so. You can check them out.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry, I meant to post a link and carver took care of that for me!
  5. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

Yes. Police officers are sworn to uphold the laws of their respective jurisdictions (state, city, etc.) AND the Constitution of the United States. I have personally taken this oath three different times. By judges for two seperate agencies that I have worked for, and once by the sheriff for a county wide task force I was assigned to.

runes Member

Oath 2
    I asked this question on another forum and was attacked by a very displeased person for asking such.
    I am serious about my oath and I thank those who gave polite answers.
    I have put the question to a lawyer friend and she seemed to think it was by jurisdiction (state). I'm glad to hear that it includes the contitutional oath of our country.
    This other person went off on a rant about owning firearms and the world isnt perfect etc.
    Thanks again for real answers.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

It is what it is.

You can abide by it or toss it to the wind.

I know where I stand.
  8. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

Here is the complete oath that I swore to:

I, (my name), do solemnly swear or affirm that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Alabama, so long as I continue a citizen thereof; and that I will faithfully and honestly discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; to the best of my ability. So help me God.

This is the one administered by the sheriff for the task force that I was assigned to. Now, that last sentence bears a LOT of weight to me. This is a promise that I made to God, and I take that VERY serious. If I fail to honor this oath, I will answer to God for it.

___