contender G2

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by redhawk44, Apr 6, 2004.

1. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

I got a new Contender G2 frame today and it wouldn't cock. I called the factory and the guy said that iot had to have a barrel on it to cock. I put a barrel on and it still wouldn't cock. I called back, got another guy who said something about the bolt on the barrel was the problem and he would send me another one.

Do any of you fellers have any experience with the G2 frame on a Thompson center contender?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

redhawk44:

I know nothing of the new G2 Contender but the old Contender has a unique cocking sequence that you must go through. Maybe it applies to the new G2 ??????

The trigger is basically a set trigger. The trigger mechanism is pre-cocked by opening and closing the action(barrel in place). Final cocking is done by pulling the hammer back. The resultant trigger pull is very light. If after doing the pre-cocking by opening the action and closing it, you pull the trigger without cocking the hammer you get the gun out of sequence and you you must open the action again to pre-cock it.

So it goes: open action, close action, cock hammer, pull trigger. Any break in the sequence means starting over at "open action".

Hope this helps.

LDBennett
  3. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

Thanks Mr. Bennett, but that isn't it.

It turns out that barrels for the G2 frame have to have a one piece locking bolt instead of the 2 piece that I have on my barrel.

Why exactly, I don't know, but TC is sending me the proper bolt.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  4. bubbadoyle

bubbadoyle New Member

I have two contender G2's. I had the same problem with one of them. I put a barrel on it and it would not cock, I then put the barrel on my other frame and it worked fine. If Thompson fixes this for you please let me know how you contacted them. My G2's work fine now but I had to switch my rifle and pistol stocks and grips around to get all barrels to work. Would just as soon that they all work together.
    Thank you.
  5. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_Contact01.htm
  6. G2Wolf

G2Wolf New Member

Unfortunately I have the same cocking issue with my G2 frame. I sent the barrel in to be retrofitted by TC Arms for free to work with my G2 frame. They said that they tested the barrel after retrofitting it to work with the G2 frame and shipped it back to me. I still cannot cock the hammer even with the service that was done on the barrel. They told me I had purchased an old model barrel that needed to be updated to work with the G2 frame. This is extremely frustrating and I will have to contact them again. Any suggestions????? This gun has never even been fired. I bought the barrel in 41 magnum for deer hunting.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a G2 frame and right now I have three barrels for it. One of them is an old barrel (.45 Colt) and the other two are new barrels (.223 and 5.7X28). The only time that I have had problems with cocking it is in the 5.7X28 barrel on the first time I shoot a reloaded 5.7X28. The problem I am having is not with the pistol mechanism but with the bullet itself not seating in the chamber. Once the case has been fire formed and reloaded the pistol cocks each time. In my opinion if the barrel is not "seated" properly that will keep if from cocking. I have had to "slam" the barrel shut in order to cock it.

I know that this is not really answering your concern about yours not cocking. I did just take the barrel off of mine and as the first guy told you, it will not cock without a barrel.