Conversion Cylinders

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Pustic, May 24, 2011.

1. Pustic

Pustic Member

A couple of summers ago I bought an R&D conversion cylinder from the gunshow for $150.00. I have five 1858 Remington .44's, three brass and two steel. I put it in one of the steel frames and worked the action. It cycled easy and locked in place with no problem, but when I checked the cylinder for back roll I found that it could drift back just a hair, so I put it in my other steel frame and tried it out, it cycles, locks in place and no back roll. It's dead on target with both roundballs and .45 LC. Both of my steel frame revolvers are Piettas. The target is from the very first time shooting the .45 cylinder, I also shot the .44 c&b cylinder on it. Still, not bad. "Every bullet didn't hit the red, but if it was human, it would still be dead." Pustic 9:53 :D

Does anyone else shoot the conversion cylinders? If so, how do you like them?
    What are your thoughts, experiences, and/or stories about the R&D .45 Long Colt conversion cylinders, or any other brand of conversion cylinders.

I also put the cylinder in my brass frames, but loaded with snap caps only, that way I can safely dry fire without risk of damage. The cylinder loaded with snap caps is a very good way to play with your gun and learn the trigger pull and your flinch reflex, but you don't shoot live ammo in a brass frame.

Pustic

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

3. Pustic

Pustic Member

Thanks. The first six was .44 ball, the next six were .45LC. . After the first shot with the .45LC, I had to tighten my grip on the wood, I didn't realize it had that much umph to it.:D
  4. Willie

Willie Active Member

I thought you could shht ball ammo in a brass frame gun but you have to stay around 20 grains or so. Is that right?
  5. Pustic

Pustic Member

I usually load around 30 grains in my brass frames, or 25 if I'm punching paper. If I'm using my brass frame buntline for hunting, I load 32 grains of powder.
  6. Willie

Willie Active Member

Got it. Thanks,Pustic.
  7. Pustic

Pustic Member

You're very welcome. It takes more than a few shots with a brass frame to start doing any damage to the frame, and when I use it for hunting I might get lucky and get a shot or two off per season, so that gun doesn't get shot a lot. If I was going into battle, I'd use a steel frame.:)

Pustic
  8. Willie

Willie Active Member

What does the damage look like and how can you tell if it has been damaged ? Is it like catastraphic failure ie blowing up or what?
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

it wont blow up but it will stretch. The first indication will be the imprint of the cylinder ratchet in the recoil shield. This was after twelve 25 grain loads out of a Remington Navy. Now I got the gun used so I don't know what kind of abuse it suffered before me. I do know the imprint was not there when I got it.

[​IMG]
  10. Willie

Willie Active Member

So does that make it a wall hanger? And how big was the load you used? I know brass is soft but I am surprised with so few shots that could happen. I don't suppose there is any fix for that,is there?
  11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

No, it doesn't make it a wall hanger but it made me reduce the loads to a reasonable 15 grains. Like I said it was twelve 25 grain loads. I have heard of putting a thin steel plate over it but I've never tried it.
  12. Pustic

Pustic Member

I have five 1858 Remingtons and three are brass, one I've had for over 30 years and there's no stretch on any of them, but then again, I don't shoot them every day. Most of my shooting is done with my steel frames, and then I can use my conversion cylinder. I do take and use my brass frame 1858 Remington Bison when I go hog and deer hunting, along with a rifle, but sometimes I don't feel like lugging a rifle around so I'll strap on my Bison and use it. I've put lots of meat on the table with my brass frame Bison. What I will do if I don't use it after the season is over, I'll take the cylinder and put it in a steel frame and shoot holes in something. :D I hunt two seasons, Firearms and Muzzleloaders, and I'll carry the Bison with both, or I'll carry a steel frame with the .45 cylinder. When I hunt firearms, I'll use either my .30-30 Winchester or my Mosin-Nagant 91-30 and muzzleloading I'll either use my Kentucky or Hawken, both are flintlocks.

If your's get to bad to shoot, buy a steel frame of the same brand, such as Pietta, Uberti, or whatever, that way you have a spare cylinder, cylinder pin, plunger, springs, hammer, grips, barrel, hand, stop, screws, and nipples. Did I leave anything out? :D:D

Pustic
  13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I have four. I had others but I lost 15 of my handguns to a thief. This was my first bp revolver to get me back into shooting bp. I have two steel frame 44's and a steel frame 36. I've never seen a steel frame PR. I don't think they made steel frames and who knows what parts will swap. Grips would have to be hand fitted even between consecutive numbers from same manufacturer.
  14. Pustic

Pustic Member

Hey Hawg,
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I guess you never got them back. I know that wasn't a good day for you at all. I can swamp the cylinders around among my three Piettas, which are my two steel frames and my brass Bison. I'll pack and cap all three cylinders, put one in a gun and the other two go in cylinder pouches on my belt. When I go out I'm ready for battle, I don't play games.:D
    My avatar is one of my Piettas.
    Pustic
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

No I never did get them back and it was my now ex son in law that stole them. He's now in prison for having a meth lab.:D:D:D:D:D
  16. Pustic

Pustic Member

Good, I hope he rots there.