Coon Hunt 2

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

warpig883
    (12/19/01 3:26:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Coon Hunt 2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hope you guys don't mind if I use this place kind of like a journal of my coonhunts. This forum don't get used much anyway.

Went out with one of my hunting buddies (Mike) tonight. he has a young Black and Tan bitch he is trying to train and a big English male i used to own a third of and gave my half to the other two. Mike owns all of him now. We also had my dog Amy.

First place there were cattle all over the place and there were pretty nervous so we just let Amy out. She treed right away inside an old barn. Mike climbed up to a little tiny loft and said there were coon all over. He was shooting them and throwing them out. He only had one try to climb over him and he jumped down and I climbed up and shot a couple. Got 8 out of that spot.

Drove a couple miles down the road to a big tree grove out in the middle of a section. Pretty good spot with water running and big (hollow ) trees. Amy and Will took off on a trail right away. The new dog Berry did not want to hunt at all. Just walked along beside us. Got to where they were treed and had to cross the crick. I had my fat butt out on a log and slipped and fell. Luckily it was ice so I only got a little wet. Got a sore shoulder and knee for my efforts. Mike laughed at me for a bit then walked down about 50 yards and crossed in a good spot. Found the big tree the dogs were on and put on a fine display of marksmanship and added 2 more coon to the collection.

Now we were about a mile from the truck with 3 dogs to leash and 2 coon to carry. First thing that happened was Will and Berry went in a circle around Mike and tied his legs together. Mike is a big boy and the thump he made when he hit the ground was well worth it. Very funny he then put both dogs on one lead and grabbed a coon. I grabbed one and we started walking.

If you have never tried to carry a coon while atatched to a coon crazy dog i do not recommend it. These dang dogs go so wild they just will not stop. the whole way we are fighting them off. They jump on our backs and everything trying to get those critters.

Berry will probably be going to a good home if she don't shape up. I have always had problems with Black and Tans. I know it is not the breeds fault. Just my own bad luck.

Got to get up early to put up those 10 coon hides so I better get to bed.
    To silence the mocker is to proclaim his litany true

tuckerd1
    (12/19/01 8:08:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Coon Hunt 2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep em coming Piggy. I love to hear hunting stories.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

shooter22
    (12/19/01 9:22:36 pm)
    sounds like you got coons coming out of the rafters

warpig883
    (12/19/01 9:37:21 pm)
    Got their hides hanging from the rafters

I am about half bruised up for falling my big fat ass on the ice. Think I will stay in tonight and cuddle with mama. I know why my dad always said it is a young mans sport.
    I lost my marbles

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/20/01 8:31:40 am)
    You must have stock in Bar-B-Que sauce, nothing like coon on the spit.....grease`s itself.
    Every Day........

cointoss 2
    (12/20/01 10:47:30 am)
    Warpig I enjoy reading about your hunt, I miss hearing the hounds run and the difference when they are hot and treed. With all that coon LTS is on to something, you could have a Tennessee Barbeque!
    cointoss2

warpig883
    (12/20/01 9:50:58 pm)
    I have ate the stinking things with mixed results. Coon BBQ is great. So are hunks carved off when yer skinnin and thrown on the woodburner to cook. Do no I repeat DO NOT put one in your wifes new crockpot with garlic and somethin or other marinade and let cook all day while you are at work. Dang neer had to repaint the house to get rid of the stench. Threw the crock pot away and slept on the couch. She called me at work when she got home. She was raising hell with me and I told her not to touch my coon. I laugh about it now, she still gets mad when I bring it up
    I lost my marbles

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/2/02 11:19:03 pm)
    Man,
    these are some good stories warpig, I like em
    Browning-The Best There Is.