coon hunting and trapping

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/20/03 7:53:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    coon hunting and trapping
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone been out this year? Wish my knee problem was fixed so I could go chase those hounds.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

ShootingInVT
    (2/4/03 5:42:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I've never been out
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can't say that I've ever been coon hunting. Is it worth your time to go without dogs? I was pretty sure that they are almost a necessity...

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/4/03 6:20:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I've never been out
    To do it legal at night in SD dogs are required. Lots of people go out during the day in the winter looking in abandonded farms in attics and walls and lofts and such. That is a good way to get a lot of coon. Pretty easy to get 30 or 40 a day doing that.

I prefer to chase my hounds though

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/4/03 9:07:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I've never been out
    Whadd'a you do when ya catches 'um, Piggie???
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:14:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    huff and puff and wonder why in the hell I chase these damn hounds all over the country side, up and down hills in the freezing cold and snow in the middle of the night.

Turn around and do it again

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:36:36 pm)
    Just proves - it takes some folks longer to learn than others!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 12:36:21 am)
    My "hounds" treed one the other night. I couldn't figure out what all the damn barking was about. Finally grabbed a light and they were under an eight foot maulberry tree with a big ol coon in it. I tried to pull them off and they kept running back. That tree was bending over towards the ground it was pretty funny. I finally got them away and tried to explain to them that they are "bird dogs" and not "coon hounds" but they just smiled that happy retriever smile.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/03 1:14:04 pm)
    Maybe they's waitin' ta retrieves it!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/03 5:36:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    When I was growing up my dad ran a pack of hounds and one lab. The lab was hell on killing coons. She would grab them one time by the neck and that was it for the coon. Best kill dog I have ever seen.

I have a Beagle who is crazy for coon hunting. She runs rabbits, cats, frogs and all kinds of other trash so I keep her on a leash when coon hunting. But it is the most inspiring thing in the world to see that little dog tackle a coon in a fight. When we get one on the ground i let her off the leash. She is half the size of a coon but jumps right in. It is so damned funny watching her I have had tears in my eyes from laughing, and in admiration of the fight she has in her.

She got ahold of a big coon one night in some water that was to deep for her to walk but the coon could stand. That old coon was tearing her all to hell. Every time I started to wade in to grab that coon this BIG meathead coonhound of ours by the name of Will would grab that coon and throw him up in the air. My beagle would be waiting for the coon to hit the water and tackle it all over again. This went on for severel cycles. Seems like both the other coonhounds watch out for her in the fights.

I have never seen ANY other dog that has so much HUNT and FIGHT inside. You should hear her voice! I have had veteran coon hunters just amazed when they hear her. You can hear her from well over a mile away. Been more than once when the other dogs got to far away to hear and I would let her go to find them and then listen for her.

She got impregnated by this HUGE coonhound I had and the pups died inside her and started to rot. Had to take her to the vet. He removed 3 pups that were as long as she was Bad situation that turned out ok

I don't know if you guys remember but this Beagle (Izzy) is the dog of mine that went missing for 3 months a couple years ago. It was a great day the day she showed up all skinny and wore down. We still don't know what happened to her. There is no way anyone will ever catch her so I am sure she was not with somebody. Really a mystery. I remember I posted the story when she made it home.

Damn it you guys got me thinking about old coonhound storys now. I might put a few together later if I can get them all typed.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/03 10:02:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: coon hunting and trapping
    Good story Piggy, friggin spellchecker deleted the rest of my question. How many hounds you hunt?
    cointoss2

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/13/03 8:59:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I am down to one English Coonhound. I owned part of another one but gave my half to my hunting partner. I had 3 of them a few years ago but my kennel is just not big enough for 3 big dogs.