The Firearms Forum banner

Coonan??

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  JUNKKING 
#1 ·
I called a LGS today looking for a 1911 2011 tactical by RIA and the guy told me the only 1911 in the shop was made by Coonan and it was a 357 Magnum:rolleyes: Has anyone ever heard of this manufacturer or a 357 Magnum on a 1911 platform?

If so are these a decent gun. he one they have is used and hes asking 749 for it.

#3 ·
My former FFL showed me his Coonan .357. Looked nice but I dont know if they are any good or not. A 100% one is listed in Blue book at about $800-1000.here are a few different models and value varies. 95% ones average about $600.00.

#4 ·
If it's in very good condition, $750 seems like a fair price. I'd do some more checking around though. New they're going for around $1100+. I've never held one, just read some articles on them.

#5 ·
I bought one years ago when they first came out; jumped on the bandwagon. It's a nice pistol but due to the length of the .357 cartridge, the grip is longer than most auto-loading pistols. I have large hands but the gun never felt comfortable then I held it, not like a Colt Government Model or similar clone. I probably should have kept it but decided to trade it for something else I wanted. It's accuracy was not that great. I have a couple of revolvers in .357 and prefer them over the Coonan.

#6 ·
I had thought bout havin a 1911 in a .357 mag didn't know someone beat me to the punch, gave up on the idea when thinkin bout how big the grips would wind up bein. Would be neat to shoot one though, kinda like the 50 D.E.(I only managed 2 rounds and had enough) Not a everyday gun but a once in a while gun.

G
#7 ·
Coonan's are amazing 1911's. I got to meet and spend some time with Dan and some of his employees at SHOT. Amazing people who love all guns, shooting and taking care of their customers.

He needs to drop his pants in front of a mirror, turn his butt towards it, and take a good look.....'cause he don't know his ass......
Not sure if you don't believe that Coonan doesn't make 357 1911's or what. http://coonaninc.com/

The fit, finish and options you get on a Coonan are the same as you get on 1911's that cost 2 times a much. Those are not 357mags either.

#8 ·
I have heard nothing but good about Coonans and, if'n a .357 rings your chimes, the price is right.

#9 ·
I have heard they are good guns, but I myself prefer a 45 in a 1911.

#10 ·
I was in the same catergory as most of you guys too when he said 357 magnum on a 1911 platform. I didnt think any such animal existed. I see now that they do and are quite expensive and quality guns. As far as not being accurate that has to be partly on the size of the grip and the shooter. It would definitely be a handful. Now im wondering how this small shop new in town managed to get a high quality gun, I guess the previous owner didnt like them either. I may stop by his place and have a look at it just to see what it feels like.

#11 ·
I have heard they are good guns, but I myself prefer a 45 in a 1911.
Same here Double D. And rimed cartridges have never worked well in any sime-auto hand gun that I know of. Not knocking the Coonans, I don't know any thing about them. Maybe they figured out how to make it run without jams!

#12 ·
The Coonan has been around a long time. I have lusted after one for years and years but have never seen or held one. The grip would be a problem for me with my smallish hands so I have never pursued one. I do have a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm and that is enough magnum power for me. In fact, I rarely shoot reloads at the prescribed level because the gun twists in my hand when shot and is not all that much fun at those power levels. At 40&W (the 40 S&W is just a 10mm short) power levels it is a lot of fun to shoot. The 357 Coonan probably is not all that much fun to shoot with the sharp recoil of 357 mag that I feel in my 357 revolvers.

Rimmed cartridges are hard to feed from magazine as the rims can get all tangled up but the Coonan is not the only centerfire gun that shoots rimmed cartridges larger than 22 rimmed cartridges. S&W made a Bullseye gun from their Model 39 that shot hollow base wadcutter 38 specials. It was the Model 52. The bullets are seated almost all the way into the case with a light crimp to roll the case over the end of the bullet. They feed fine and the is uncannily accurate (it was for Bullseye competition). I love mine but they are very expensive on the used market, if you can even find one. I looked for years before I found mine and amazingly I found two to choose from at the same dealer!

LDBennett

#16 ·
They look well made. I guess they are all 357?

#17 ·
They look well made. I guess they are all 357?
I did a google search on them DD and it looks to be they are all 357 magnum. I guess they have some following to be expensive as they are and have figured the feeding issue out. I am going to look at that one tomorrow but doubt I will buy it. Im only about to get into reloading and I would like to stick to 45ACP as a main caliber until I become more knowledge as to figure out how I want my loads. I have an XDM 40 thats hardly used but it still is used. If I can get any type of trade for it I may consider but I doubt the XDM is worth much.

#18 ·
I did a google search on them DD and it looks to be they are all 357 magnum. I guess they have some following to be expensive as they are and have figured the feeding issue out. I am going to look at that one tomorrow but doubt I will buy it. Im only about to get into reloading and I would like to stick to 45ACP as a main caliber until I become more knowledge as to figure out how I want my loads. I have an XDM 40 thats hardly used but it still is used. If I can get any type of trade for it I may consider but I doubt the XDM is worth much.
They also made a .41 Magnum.

#19 ·
The Coonan Rep came out about 6 months ago and I got to shoot one. Very sweet shooting, and not a single problem. All are in 357 at this time. The rep said after a good break in period they would shoot 38's but non of us tried. There is a stainless one on the range program now. The finish work is top notch. Yeah its a 1400 dollar price tag but there are others out there with the same price that are not nearly as nice.

#20 ·
I went to check out the Coonan today it was gone. Someone bought it yesterday. I asked the guy how the grip was he said it was a very thin grip and wasnt at all hard to handle though he never fired it. He also said the workmanship was one of the best he had seen in any pistol it compared to any high dollar 1911 and out did some of the ones he seen. My loss I guess. He did though offer me 450 n a trade or 400 cash for my XDM 40. It was more than I thought I would get but brought it home with me in case I find some other gun I would want to use it as a trade on.

#21 ·
Junk, I am checking stock every day for the 2011 tactical. If they show up and you are still in the market, I will let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.