1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Coons

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Hugh357, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

Been having a time with coons the last couple of days. Shot two last night and one tonight that tore up stuff in the barn. They are so destructive. When I turned the light on in the barn one had a hard time adjusting to the light since they are nocturnal and that gave me just enough time to shoot him. Takes the vultures about two days to clean up one. They are going to be busy the next couple of days. I took them about 1/2 mile from the house so the dogs don't get to them. If they find something dead they think it is cute to roll in the pile. Learning lesson- Don't blast a coon through a cage with a 9mm. Did that last year and I thought I had the barrel positioned perfectly but blew the rungs off the trap. Use a 22.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

That's like by my house, we live on a dead end, and there's this giant mound of dirt at the end of the road with some trees around it. All the woodchucks and gophers always pop up in there and me and my dad catch em and shoot em with the .22. Then I had to carry the bloody carcass down to the park and I throw it away in the woods. Usually the neighbor's cats are out and about around the neighborhood and keep the rodents out, but I haven't seen the cats lately.

I hear a lot of loud noises at night from the cornfield next door too, so I don't know if it's those cats going in there and getting racoons and other stuff or what.

But yeah I agree, the best way to dispose of em in the cage is to use a .22 with a long barrel on it so you can stick it right into the cage and fire. I would do it with my .45 but it would probably shoot guts all over me.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Down here in the South, our attitude towards coons is a little different. We don't mind seeing a coon or two, we hunt em, and we eat em!
  4. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

Ate one one time and they are a little too greasy for liking. One thing we have too many of here in Iowa is coons and deer. If coons and deer are your liking Iowa is the place. Road kill of deer, coons, skunks and opossums are really bad. In the county I live there are 2-4 deers strikes per week. I ride a motorcycle and I have learned to watch all the time on the sides of the road and I do not drive at night. That is the way it is. People in the city think Bambi is so cute until they put one through the grill or wind shield of their car.
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Coons are common here; never had damage from one though. I feed the outside cats on the back porch (covered, open sides) and the possum's and coons come up and finish what the cats don't eat.
    VERY tame at this point; I can open the door and talk to them, and they look at me, then go back to eating!

Not as tame as the wild turkeys, though.
    They come up and peck on the door, wanting me to come out and scatter some shelled corn for them.
  6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Possums and/or 'coon ..... I've got one or the other ( or both ) this year .
    They DO make a mess with my horse feed .... time to get the traps out, again.
    The cats do a good job of getting rid of the mice & woodchucks, but, that's
    about all I can ask them to do .
  7. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I have a problem with possums or coons eating my field peas. They remove the pea hull on one side, take the peas out, then remove the outer hull on the pea itself then eat the inner part.:confused: I'm thinking it's coons doing it.
  8. blind bud

blind bud New Member

HERE IN FLORIDA FOXES AND COONS CATCH THE CHICKENS AND BIDDES THEY ARE TUFF OUT HERE IN THE COUNTRY CAN NOT SAT TRAPS TO MANY HOUSE DOGS ??? WELL THEY BETTER PIN THEM UP ???
    BLIND BUD
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I stay in San Diego for my job during the week.

I have found that Point Loma is full of Racoons, Skunks, and the occasional ugly Possum. I drove by a couple of 'Coons one night and was startled to see they were twice the size of cats!! Not something you'd like to meet up with on an evening dog walk.. If I leave the bedroom window open for air at night, I have to water the front yard to keep the skunks away from the house or I'll be awake for sure.

You can't shoot any of them in the city, just trap them. Good luck getting animal control to come after a caged Skunk!