COP 357 derrenger

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by soundguy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

what's the opinion on these ( yes I have one.. ) I figure i got 5 shots.. 4 with the gun.. then since the thing weighs like 8#, i got a 5th shot by throwing it at the bad guy.. :)

seriously..

opinions? ( i know it made a nice effect in blade runner when they rigged all 4 bbls to fire off the pyro at once.. etc.. )
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know anything about them. Do they fire standard .357 Magnums or .357 Sigs?
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

They fire 357 Magnum. They were made about 30 years ago, and were not well thought of at the time. The story was that the trigger pull was very heavy, recoil was very stout, muzzle flash was terrific, and with the short barrels Magnum loads weren't doing anything but increasing the flash and blast. That last point meant they had no advantage over an Airweight J-frame S&W in 38 Special, which was lighter, gave you one more shot for very little extra bulk, and generally worked properly. (At least one article said the COP tended to double fire because of the effect of the recoil on the firing pins.)

They were out of production by the mid-80's, I think. They have been gone so long that most people have never heard of them. They are not really worth much as weapons, but people are beginning to ask steep prices for them because of their scarcity and novelty.

A Google search for COP 357 Derringer will turn up quite a bit about them, including a Wikipedia article and an 8.5 minute YouTube video. COP apparently stood for "Compact Off-duty Police".
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  4. soundguy

38spl / 357mag

it's an older gun.. way back into the 80's
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The "Cop" came in .22 .38 and .38/357 if IRC. I had an opportunity to fire one back when they first came out. Bigggg mistake. In .357 it will break your wrist ( seems like ) and the .38 Special wasn't much better. I think the recoil factor was the reason that they never caught on. I have been told that the ones in .22 are fun to shoot. Don't know for myself.
  6. soundguy

their recoil is stiff , as is the trigger pull.. but then i shoot hand cannon such as 500swmag and 50ae.. so a shrt bbl 357mag is just fun sized.

the gun is darn heavy though!!
  7. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

They are a 4 shot derringer. No 5 shots. Unlike the Hollywood movie they only fire on round as a time. And An Internal Rotating Striker That Hits Each Chambers Firing Pin In Sequence As The Trigger Is Pulled. (Corrected) It was only made in 38/357. Never .22.
    I carry my COP daily as my concealed weapon. I use an OTB holster and because it is so compact it carrys well. The trigger pull is heavy and long. No external moving parts. Very smoth lines. Feels good in my hand and the 357 recoil is absorbed pretty well by the gun. The recoil on my Colt snubbie is harsher. It is a pure defensive gun, not a range pistol. At 30 feet I can hit what I aim at.
    The only down side is that they go used for around $1000. Expensive.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. soundguy

did you read my post?

i said 5th shot due to the guns weight.. as a joke.. ie.. throw the gun at them as the 5th shot.

and I specifically mentioned that in blade runner they jimmied the gun to make all 4 bbls fire the pyro at once...
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

It is a heavy SOB for sure. I see nothing wrong with carrying that pistol. I would if it was all I had.
  10. soundguy

bettern' mace!
  11. dld

dld Member

I have heard the firing pin breaks easily??
  12. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

I have never heard that and mine never had. The COP is a very well built gun and no chance of a FTF what so ever. I have a whole bunch of guns Many many gun, and have chosen my classic COP to carry. I carry 24/7 out side the home. The area I live is very low crime. I have had a concealed licence since 1972. Never had to pull or use any of the many firearms I concealed carried over the years to defend myself.
    Nobody else has to share my opinion. If you want more capacity from a pistol go for it. I am just an old gun nut.
  13. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

A couple on NOT ALLOWED now...don't miss out on the chance to buy one...

Item=303832107 only $1500.00 used no box.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  14. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I tried the derringer route for CCW a few years ago and figured out I was better off with a titanium .38 spl. Less weight and three extra rounds plus the titanium is way easier to shoot than the Bond derringer I had.
  15. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

Bond derringer has only 2 rounds,k is single action only, external saferty, and is bigger than a COP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thems fugly.. Ill carry my 1911..

BTW, there is a cheap knockoff copy of the COP chambered in .22LR. same over complicated rotating firing pin mechanism, that breaks easily and has a stoopid heavy trigger pull. IF i had one Id prolly use it... as a trotline weight. ;)
  17. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

JLA, I have seen four-barreled 22 pistols, but they have been knock-offs of the much older Mossberg Brownie instead of the COP. The Brownie seems to have had a good reputation for reliability, if not for accuracy. The copies were mostly made to be cheap, which often has a bad effect on quality.

I think the Brownie was related to an even earlier pistol called the Shattuck Unique, which may have been some kind of palm-squeezer.

Incidentally, somebody took the Brownie design and turned it into a weird sort of revolver, with interchangeable 22/380 (yes, that's right) cylinders. It was on the market for about 15 minutes, 10-20 years ago. It was called the Cobray PPI. An even stranger design than the COP, and even less practical, IMHO.

PS - I guess there are also modern knock-offs of the old Sharps four barrel 22, but they seem to have been made mainly as novelties. They are single action, and would never be mistaken for COP-ies.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive seen those too. odd curiosities at best IMO.
  19. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

As a collector ..yes i have them all. Obsessed. This is a list of my guns I purchaed so far this year... I can so I do. It is my hobby. Kinda wrapping down my collection purchases and filling the few I still want or have wanted...keep on finding them however. I want a Heizer if they ever come out. Trying to quit. Here is a thread where some of us collectors post...2012 Arms Race...

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115860

1 Swiss Vetterli M1869/71 Antique Rifle .41RF
    #2 1950 Model Colombian Crested Mauser made by Fabrique Nationale 30-06
    #3 Brazilian Mod 08/34.30 crested Mauser cal 30-06
    #4 Spanish crested Mauser Model 1916 8mm
    #5 Argentine 1891 crested Mauser
    #6 Croatian PHP MV 9 Pistol
    #7 Whitney Wolverine Cal. 22 (Origional)
    #8 AMT Longslide
    #9 Sundance Industries Point Blank Derringer. .22
    #10 Leinad Pocket Pal 380 ACP & 22lr
    #11 Leinad 6 Shot Mini Pocket Revolver 22lr
    #12 Mosin Nagant M91/30
    #13 Antique Bulldog Pistol
    #00 NAA Sidewinder .UPDATE DELIVERY MOVED TO SEPT.
    #14 Ross 1910 Sporterized 30-40Krag
    #15 Enfield revolver #2 commando snubnose 2" 38 S&W
    #16 Savage 99B take down in 303 Savage.
    #17 CCCP marked Nagent Revolver
    #18 Polish MAG98 9MM pistol
    #19 Mosin Nagant M91/30 Hex reciever, nice wood and all factory matching serial numbers.

NOTICE:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  20. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

Some of my Derringers. PIC Couple years old. Have more...
    [​IMG]

I got a handfull of 1911's too JLA. I tried to get a different style of each..Hi cap, compact, DA, polymer frame..etc

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012