Cop Killer ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ranger-1, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ranger-1

Ranger-1 New Member

What are Cop Killer bullets? Always hear about them but never know what they are.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

While looking, to make sure I was giving you the right answers, I found this site.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvcopk.html

They seem to have it covered.

Just two things to remember.

#1 - the teflon coating was to protect the barrel of the gun, not to allow the bullet to penetrate kevlar.

#2 - no police officer has ever been killed by being shot through his vest by someone using armor-piercing ammo.

So, "cop-killer bullets" do not exist. It is some made-up BS by the anti-gunners. Like Saturday Night Special, Assault Weapon, Pocket Rocket and anything else they can come up with that sounds bad so they can scare people into voting away our rights.
  3. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

correction: no police officer has ever been killed by being shot through his vest by someone using armor-piercing ammo from a handgun. a guy went nuts near me a few months ago and took out a cop at his house using a SKS with his own home brewed steel jacketed rounds. if i remember correctly the only thing that stopped him from taking out more or at least firing off alot more rounds was the fact that he loaded his rounds too hot, split the brass on one causing a jam that he couldnt clear. the STAR team took him out shortly after that. (STAR=hickory SWAT team)

i just felt like messing with ya. i actually dont know for a fact that the officer that got killed was shot through the vest. i do know for a fact the ammo being used was steel jacketed and he personally loaded them himself. and i also know for a fact the gun used was an SKS and i know the guy was a nut job.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. res45

res45 Member

Ranger-1 the vest worn by the majority of LEO's is only rated for handgun ammo up to 44 Mag they want stop center fire rifle bullets. Until you get up to a Lever III to IV which are more bulky and heavier will you stop a rifle rd. even those want take multiple hit in the same area and using a true armor piercing rd. all bets are off.

As far as the cop killer bullets go,the one that got all the hype was the Winchester Black Talon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon As stated it's anti gun BS. The black coating wasn't even Teflon,it was Lubalox the same coating Winchester and Nosler uses on it CT rifle bullets today. It reduces friction and adds nothing to the penetration qualities of a bullet.

As far as the razor sharp edges that the Black Talon created when it expanded just look up the Barnes all copper bullets that are made today or any good quality self defense rd. they have the exact same expansion qualities. There made to expand and dump all there energy into the target no shoot through body armor.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I think there is one exception here and that is the FN 5.7 - I believe this handgun penetrates with certain ammo.
  6. res45

res45 Member

That would be the SS190 FMJ AP rd. which is banned for sale to the civilian population. The MV is 2,133 ft/s
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Is that so.............? Check out brandx . com, search SS190 AP under ammunition.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  8. cakes

cakes New Member

FN Herstal restricted ammo sales to the public to the ss196, which is not considered armor piercing ammo.

The ss190 is AP and subject to regulation.

Title 27 Section 478.37
    No person shall manufacture or import, and no manufacturer or importer shall sell or deliver, armor piercing ammunition, except:

(a) The manufacture or importation, or the sale or delivery by any manufacturer or importer, of armor piercing ammunition for the use of the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency or political subdivision thereof;

(b) The manufacture, or the sale or delivery by a manufacturer or importer, of armor piercing ammunition for the purpose of exportation; or

(c) The sale or delivery by a manufacturer or importer of armor piercing ammunition for the purposes of testing or experimentation as authorized by the Director under the provisions of ยง478.149.
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I still have some black talon Ammo. Is this illeagle to have or was it just pulled off the shelf?
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Most rifle ammo will penetrate soft body armor. The SKS doesn't need any special ammo to do this.

There are several different levels of soft body armor. Some levels will be penetrated by 9mm FMJ. So theoretically, those could be called "cop killer" bullets.

In reality, though, the only "cop killer" bullets are the bullets fired at police officers. No matter what kind of ammo I have, I will never have cop killer bullets, because I will not shoot at the cops.

A tool is defined by its use.
  11. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

It's perfectly legal to own any Black Talon you've got. Same goes for the "Ranger SXT", which is the identical round minus the lubalox coating. (It's NOT teflon as the anti-gunners would have us all believe)
    The Ranger SXT was born after all the media BS about Black Talons being teflon-coated "cop killers".

Winchester has designated Ranger for sale to LEOs only. NOT the government...it's just Winchester's decision. They sell the Ranger line of ammo only to distributors that cater to law enforcement personnel. If you aren't and happen to find any for sale elsewhere you're still okay to buy/own it.
  12. Texxut

Texxut Member

Cop Killer bullets, hummm lets see...
    oh yes, isle 4, second shelf down, right next to the hens teeth.

Just the anti's using scary terms to frighten the sheeple.