The Firearms Forum banner

Copper plating your own lead cast

19K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey I was surfing thru some you tube videos and saw that you can copper plate your own lead bullets. It looked pretty cool, but was wondering if it was even worth the time and effort? check it out. Let me know whatcha think. Would it be a good preventer of barrel leading?

#2 ·
Hmm.

I get an error on every video on that site.

If this is ELECTROPLATING, though, I sure as heck would not attempt it; the chemicals required for the electroplating process are really nasty stuff -

#3 ·
Why not just use gas checks? You can load a lot hotter with them than with copper plated.

#4 ·
Yes it is electroplating. they chemicals they use are zep root killer from homedepote. if gas checks work better than i dont understand why they are going thru all the hassle to do it. if your having trouble with the link just do a search on youtube for copper plating bullets. Im not going thru the hassle if there is no benifit.

#5 ·
Got it - just deleted the "m." from the front of the address; apparently something for mobile users that glitches a regular PC ---

Yes indeed, I would use gas checks if it were me; electroplating makes such a darned thin coat that I kinda doubt it is going to solve any leading issue for you -

#7 ·
Some indoor ranges have rules about only shooting bullets with no exposed lead. To accommodate cast bullets, companies like Rainier plate their bullets with copper. This approach is still cheaper than even the least expensive major bullet makers jacketed bullet (Winchester or Remington bulk jacketed bullets). Gas check will not pass the above rule.

The reason is to minimize lead dust in the shooting range inside a building. They usually have large fans to push the air away from the shooters, through lead filters and out of the building. Lead is a hazardous material in some states like California and enclosing the bullets in copper keeps the lead dust to a minimum. This is not a new rule! I use to shoot in an indoor range some 15+ years ago before I retired and moved to the High Desert and they had that rule back then. I used Rainier bullets even back then.

LDBennett

#8 ·
I have tried the Root kill plating it does work but its a pain in the old rump! I gave up on it. You had better have supper clean bullets and not 1 speck of dirt or it will not coat. You cant do big amounts of bullets at one time. I could only get about 10-20 at on time.

#9 ·
electroplating isn't all that hard.

I have a rig to plate with.. and I also use the reverse too.. electrolysis as rust removal on iron parts ( i restore antique tractors ).

my FIL was a watch maker.. I have most of his old tools. including 3 nice ultrasonic pot style cleaners.. 2 of them heated.

he used to goldplate 50 cent and dollar coins and had them out as souvenirs. I have 40-50$ worth of some of the 50 cent pieces leftover from when he passed back in 2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.