The Firearms Forum banner

Copper water pipe shotgun bbl.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
I wouldn't believe this if I hadn't watched it done and seen it shoot! A neighbor (older guy) has an old beat up ugly bolt action shotgun that either has no name or its beat over or pitted. This thing had an 18+" bbl. (probably long ago cut off for who knows why) the neighbor didn't like the 'heft' so he added a 6" piece on the end. He used a piece of 3/4" ID copper water pipe soldered into a standard connector, managed to sort of taper the other end of the connector and tapped it onto (over) the end of the bbl. USING JB WELD TO HOLD IT ON! He put a bolb of JB weld on the end of the bbl. and set a BB in it for a bead sight. I watched him shoot a box of 8 shot target loads at clay birds, (hand thrown, hitting all) and saw him fire a handful of #4 buckshot thru it. It works! It stays together! Just how good is this JB Weld??? I'd love to hear any comments, should this even be possible?

#3 ·
JB is a life saver. i have used it many many times fixing guns. It makes a great bonding agent for metal to metal parts. its a good stock bedding material, its great for building up front sights and then filing it down to change the POI and can be colored with a plack marker when finished. I have used it as thread locker on things that arent supposed to come apart. I have fixed cracked stocks and grips with it... etc. etc. etc.

Used properly its really good stuff

#4 ·
no big deal to add length to shotgun barrel,the pressure is in the chamber.i would think that after 18 inches there would not be a lot of pressure,you could probably used plastic pipe and not blow up.i have used different types of jb weld for years,using the correct one you can actually tap threads into it. old semperfi

#5 ·
that is pretty neat. i've used jb weld for a few things. fixing grips and such. i once used it to fix a hatchet handle that was cracked at the head. it held until i broke the handle somewhere else

#6 ·
old semper fi is correct , you've seen our snake guns here, a few folks have added length on them included as stated slip on thick walled plastic and nylon tubes

i'd not try this with a solid round but light shot should be fine

i'd rather not own or do this myself , but in theory its all good ..

#8 ·
I can't help but recall the poster who had a burst barrel and wanted to know if he could use JB Weld to fill up the crack and go on shooting. Some posters actually thought it would work! It is good stuff, but it is an epoxy with some metal filings in it, it is not the magic answer to all gun problems.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.