Cor Bon High Velocity .45ACP brass question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Feb 26, 2010.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

I picked up a box of 20 of these boogers and I see the brass has what appears to be some cannelure-lookin' rim about halfway up the brass. What is this? Why is it there? Will these be reloadable? If so, what can I expect them to look like post-resizing during reloading.

Thanks, as always.
    Alex
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I have seen the same thing on Magtech brass in 45 ACP. I reloaded them without any problems. Only reason i can think of them to be there is some sort of crimp they apply to the case.
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It maybe purely cosmetic to justify the price.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Back in the day, cases were filled with black powder, and the bullet sat on top of the case-full. It could not go deeper into the case.

Nowadays, with smokeless powder, you don't use a full case. It is possible for the bullet to be pushed deeper into the case. I have a small collection of factory and reloaded ammo (mostly 9mm and380) that the bullet nose would get caught on the loading ramp, and the slide shoving it forward made it quite a bit shorter than the others.

Some ammo companies put a cannelure in their case, to make a ledge for the bullet base to sit on. This helps to prevent bullet set-back. Generally it is done with the older rounds - stuff that was originally loaded with black. MagTech's 45 Colt rounds are a great example. You've got, probably 3/8 of an inch of airspace between the powder and the bullet base. So the bullet sits on that little lip.
  5. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member