correct direction for installing dovetail sights

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Dec 18, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Is there any STANDARD direction (i.e. from right to left or left to right) for installing dovetail sights on firearms or does this procedure vary depending on the particular firearm on which the sight is being installed or removed ?

For instance on some of the old Remington model 514 rifles that I have, the front sight apparently needs to be installed from right to left as viewed from rear of rifle or must be removed from left to right as viewed from the rear of rifle.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

removal from right to left and install in reverse. Thats textbook gunsmithing.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The text book is right to left. Some guns it does not matter. Colt 1911 for instance does not nor does Kimber or STI. Anything Novak cut does not matter either. If its made by Sig, Springfield XD, Glock Rears, Kahr, SW M&P and some of the Ruger P series, the sights always push out to the left (if your facing the back of the gun) and install left to right. If you try it any other way, you'll break your sight or your pusher.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Prolly should add that right to left is in reference to the muzzle pointing away. ;)

Thanks for reminding me Helix.