The Firearms Forum banner

Correct Loads for .44 Colt

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mrkirker 
#1 ·
I've read on other forums that some shooters are using much more powder than the 22 grains that I've seen recommended for the .44 (army) colts. Are any of the readers in this forum using heavier loads?

Thanks,

DJ

#2 ·
My flask has a 30 grain measure and that's what I've been shooting in .44 as long as I can remember. I believe all new replicas can handle more...but check the manufacturer book. In an authentic weapon I'd go easy.

#4 ·
I use 28 gr of FFF in Goex, 25 gr in Swiss. Repros will handle more, but the fouling issue raises it's ugly head!
Yeah on the fouling....I've heard that pellets burn cleaner than powder...I never tried pellets yet though in revolvers because I kinda like the primitive way of loading, it's half the fun.

#5 ·
Delta, I've heard that, too. (pellets burn cleaner)
But, whenever I see folks shooting pellets in their long guns at the range, without exception, they are always cleaning and scraping between each shot. I shoot B/P, and clean every ten rounds or so. (Brush it once, patch it twice.) In my cap 'n ball revolver, a repro, 'char' isn't an issue unless I've upped the load above 35gr of FFF. Then, it is a real B*&%H to clean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.