The Firearms Forum banner

Corroded looking ammo.

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  DixieLandMan 
#1 ·
I recently got some old ammo from a family member. It looks kind of corroded and I don't know if I can shoot it. Most of it comes off if I take a scotch-brite pad to it, but wanted to know if it will jack up my rifle to shoot it.

See less See more
#6 ·
I just had a chance to buy 250 rounds of .45 ACP with corroded bullets (not casings) for $27 including shipping. I only have one .45, my 1911. The seller suggested I not buy it since he was selling it more as old military collectible and he was worried that the bullets might have stuck to the casings causing higher pressures. This was old corrosive ammo from WWII so we cancelled the deal.

#7 ·
I've had and still got some .22 ammo about like that. I wont shoot it thru any "high-dollor" guns I have. I' have and do shoot it thru some other .22 bolt guns I have but clean the heck out of them after shooting the ammo like that thru them.

#8 ·
It looks like the the waxy lube on this old ammo has resinified (hardened). If so, then wipe off before shooting, it should be fine. This would no affect the powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.