Cost of reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by swanshot, Oct 1, 2009.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I've just got through loading 100 6.5x55 rounds and did my sums: I wish I
    hadn't:(
    Sierra 140gn Match kings
    ADI 2209x42 grns each
    Remington mag primers
    All adds up to $0.94/rnd.
    How does this compare with you guys?

Pretty much anything in the 243 to 308 range would cost around the same.
    Could save a bit by changing to cheaper projectiles, but the reason I load is for accuracy, so what would be the point?

I'll be pleased when I can get my 223 up and running. Can load that for nearly half the price.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Your Dollar or Mine ?? :D
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I do not reload that caliber, but that $.94 seems a little high to me. Converted to US money it is still about $.82. I can reload a .30-06 cartridge with Hornady 168 grain V-max and 49 grains of Varget for about $.50 each. (not buying the brass).
  4. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Mine, about 86 to your 100
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Man, is all your powder that high? I had never heard of ADI powder, so did a search. Found a 2005 price list for a shop in Oz. Adelaide Gun Shop, in South Australia. 500 grams of that powder for 35 dollars. 500 grams is, more or less, a pound. 35 Aussie is 30.11 USD. I can't imagine payin' 30 dollars a pound for powder. And that price is four years old. Bound to be higher now.

Damn, 35 Aussie is 42 and a half Kiwi.

94 cents NZ comes out to 66 cents USD. 71 cents to the dollar, today.
  6. swanshot

swanshot New Member

This very morning I paid $52 for that 500gram can of 2209. I kid you not.
    It cost me $158 to walk out of that shop with a can of powder and 200 projectiles:(:(

Just for interest The ADI powders are as good as any I've used.
    The Lower the #, the higher the speed.
    The 2205 you found is a fast rifle powder (22 hornet. 410 shotgun)
    And the 2209 I use in the 6.5 is a relatively slow powder suitable for medium bore, fast twist rifles.
    Below 2205 are pistol/shotgun, and above 2209 you are getting into the very slow military type powders.
    I just realized that I am low on rimfire ammo, and I'll need it tomorrow afternoon. I get a brick of PowerPoint, and that'll set me back about $45
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

While looking, I also found a site that said something like, "You all know that Hodgdon powder is made right here in Australia, by ADI, and is renamed Hodgdon for sale in the states". I wasn't aware of that, but the posted seemed awful sure.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The last powder I bought (last week) was $22 a pound and I fussed about paying that much. I can't imagine paying $52. That trip to the candy store cost me about $90 and I went out with two pounds of Win powder and 200 projectiles (.357 and .308).
  9. army mp

army mp Member

I knew Australia was anti – gun. But I did not know it was that bad. Sounds like they are tiring to make shooting too expensive for the average guy. Awhile back A guy from Australia, was saying how he had found 223 for $1.00 a round and thought that was a good price. Before it hit the fan around here. I could pick up a box of 20 wolf for less than $2.00. Too cheap to load. I now have the Dies and load it to.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You poor poor man. You have my sympathies. My .30-06 reloads run me about $.68 per round. thats loaded with Barnes TSX bullets and RX19 or Hornady Interbonds and IMR4350. You got it pretty bad brother... Those bricks of .22s are still about 28 bucks here.
  11. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I've heard the same thing. I've also heard that some of the Alliant powders are ADI as well. ADI "Australian Defense Industries" are a big Manufacturing corporation that sell god knows what to God know who.
    The problem as I understand it is caused mostly by political policies on both sides.
    Australia doesn't have the demand to support it's own shooting industries,( Australia only has a total population of 22 million) so we have to import everything. High tarriffs, customs delays, and political policies that restrict export/import all force up the price.
    As for ADI who are Australian. They are just copping a windfall profit by charging parity with imported products, and there is not one damn thing we can do about it:mad::mad:
    The reason we stick with it is that it is always avaliable.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009