cost of shaving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henry0reilly, Sep 20, 2004.

1. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

I have calculated that if a man spends an average of 5 minutes per day between the ages of 18 and 65 shaving, and I think that's a fairly conservative estimate, that he will spend the equivalent of 59.5 days, 24 hours a day shaving. This figure does not take into account the hours and money spent procurring razors, shaving cream, and so forth. If you calculate five additional minutes for the barber to trim the beard six times per year when getting a haircut, that deducts less than one day from the 59.5 day total. Therefore I conclude that those of us with beards get 58 more days to enjoy shooting or other pleasurable activities than those of you who shave every day. Not to mention the money saved on razors buys more ammo.
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Looks like it is a good thing that I never had to shave. ;)
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Dude, your an Indian ????? :D

mike
    gn
  4. offeror

offeror New Member

I decided a few years ago to shave less because I hate the time spent. I also received a Norelco-style Remington shaver (!) as a gift and despite my reservations, it works well -- the blades on these things are sharper than they used to be and this one works well on my tough beard. I can shave in the car, while watching TV, or (lo and behold) even in front of the bathroom mirror. But I lose far less time just standing around shaving this way, and I save a ton of money on blades and such by "going rechargeable." Titanium will last a long time before it wears out and the shaver probably cost $30 or less -- you can't get many blades for that any more.

The razor blade companies are crazy trying to sell 4 or 5 blades per head for 8 bucks these days. I only ever bought generic blades and stopped counting with two blades per cartridge (the Trac II). I like the heads that bend but won't buy them if they cost more. I figure 3, 4 or 5 blades is just hype and if they feel it's important enough to feature 3 or 4 edges on their brand, then they should be willing to sell them for the same price as the competition's 2-edge heads and count on volume sales to make the difference. If they can't make 'em reasonably priced, I'm never going to buy them anyway.
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Haven't shaved my face since 1971, but I've been shaving the noggin' for over 10 years now. I use mug soap, it's a lot cheaper and just as good as all the Crap in a can shaving aids.
  6. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

Henry, much as I love my beard, much as it would require an Act of Congress, a terminal health condition or the close proximity of a .45 to force me to go forth naked into the world ever again, I respectfully disagree on your math . . . at least as it applies to me. I keep mine trimmed relatively short - 1.5" at most - with clear demarcations along the neck line and across my cheeks. Taking the time not to screw up on the latter with the time spent to "sculpt" it without causing a gouge is way longer than it ever took me to drag a blade indiscriminately across my face. But even with the time lost, I still would be (and am) mighty resistant to the idea of ever being "clean shaven" again.
  7. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Soap and water, with a good old-fashioned straight razor.

Only way to shave.
  8. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Gillette Sensor Excell and Edge gel with Aloe=proper hygiene . :D