Cost to reload?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by pixelperfect, Oct 15, 2009.

1. pixelperfect

pixelperfect New Member

What is the cost to reload .45 acp if I have my own brass already?
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Anywhere from $300-$1200 in startup equipment. Then the primers, powder and primer. About 20 cents a round after your all set up.
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Look at the LEE Reloading Equipment. I use the LEE Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit. Search the Internet and you can probably find one for $ 130. You need to make sure that you also purchase a set of LEE 45ACP dies. The 3 set Carbide set is all that you need. The dies will probably run you $ 25.
    Get a vibratory tumbler and some polishing media, I prefer the crushed corncob, all for about $ 80.

After that :

Large Pistol Primers: $ 0.035 each
    Powder: $ 0.03 PER bULLET.

BULLETS: $ 0.07 TO THE UPPER LIMIT.

Theoretically you are making a finished .45 ACP round for around 14 cents each.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Is .07 a bullet cast? I cant seem to find FMJ's or even plated bullets for 9mm that cheap, and 45's are more than 9mm.....?
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. pixelperfect

pixelperfect New Member

Thanks for the information. I want to shoot 500 to 700 rounds a week. Now I need to find the best reloading for the price.
  6. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

where do you get bullets that cheap? that is $70 for 1000...I am spending anywhere from 125 on up for 1000 and they are 185 gr hp. I have seen 230 gr fmj for about the same.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Wow! In that case I would highly recommend a progressive press. I can load 500 rounds during my week with a semi progressive but that takes a few hours. Look to the progressive style press such as the Hornady Lock n Load or a Dillon 550 or 650. You will be looking at the $450 range one of these but you will quickly recover your money shooting such vlolumes as 500 per week. Good luck!
  8. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

If you buy components in bulk you should be able to load for around half of what factory ammo cost. Lead bullets will get you a little cheaper.
  9. Insulation Tim

I purchase 185 gr. LSWC for less than $ 0.07 each HERE

I get plated Berry's SWC 185 gr HERE for a dime.

I don't shoot hollow points as I'm just punching "holes in paper".

Both companies offer great service (Converas pays the freight). Dardas' lead cast bullets are the best I'v tried.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  10. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Thanks Tim...however I do not shoot lead that is not jacketed through my firearms. But always appreciate the links.

J
  11. Insulation Tim

Take a look at the Berry's Plated that I refer to above. They are fully jacketed as I believe that they are electroplated in copper that covers the entire bullet. It doesn't show it in the picture very well, but the bullet is copper in color
  12. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Tim,

When you load the electroplated bullet, do you load it like a lead bullet or like a jacketed one. I heard it would be like the lead.

J
  13. Insulation Tim

I load it like lead.
  14. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Cabela's has a Lee prgressive press with dies for like 169. then you need a good scale and tumbler, dont forget your caliper for oal. Oh and get some loading blocks believe me they are worth the cost.Will get you on your way.
  15. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I have the progressive press (10mm) by lee and use a bowl for the bullets to drop out into. You really do not need blocks. I like the lee but it requires constant adjustment. When it works, it puts them out pretty quickly. Knowing what I know now and doing research, I would get something different, but the lee is good and cheap for the beginner.

J

Tim,

Thanks for the info.

J
  16. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I load them with the same load as jacketed. If you use plated make sure the crimp is light so it doesn't cut through the plating.
  17. medalguy

medalguy Member

I use a lead load, and make sure to keep the velocity under about 1100 fps or the jacket can separate from the bullet. Berry's is great for target loads. Generally no crimp is needed at all.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

19. Insulation Tim

Good calculator, JLA.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thanks tim, But i cannot take full credit for it since I pasted it to my own favorites right off this forum some time ago;) i believe it was one of the most useful links sir LD bennett posts from time to time.