Cougar 8000 @ the range.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by golgiaparatus, Dec 21, 2009.

1. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Put about 200+ rounds through the cougar on Friday.

I've fired less than 10 different pistols in my lifetime so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I'll just give my impressions based on my 92 which is common enough to give people a point of reference.

Trigger pull is fairly heavy without the hammer cocked, though it is smooth and even. After that it has a perfect feel to it. Not too heavy, not too light, hammer drops right when it should.

More recoil than expected. It has more recoil than the 92 does. It's a few ounces lighter but has the rotating barrel so I actually figured it'd be less than the 92. Cool thing is that the lateral recoil is less than any gun I have ever shot.

The accuracy is pretty good, was grouping well. As good as the 92 if not better (even with a shorter barrel). 4-5 inch groups were no problem when taking my time... though it shoots a bit left. Probably need to adjust sights just a hair or 2.

Put about 250 rounds of cheap stuff (Winchester white and Federal), no jams, no stovepipes. I even limp wristed for 2 mags (30 rounds) rounds just to see if It would stovepipe easily... still nothing. That's more than I can say for my 92. If you limp wrist the 92 a few times you're almost certain to have a problem.

So... so far, good gun, really good for under $400. Only complaint... Can't find a leather holster with a thumb break fitted for the gun anywhere :(
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Hey, another Cougar shooter! For holsters , check this guy out, inexpensive, but nice holsters-I have this one-http://www.shado.com/Leather-Holsters/Sable-Leather-Belt-Holster.html and then here is one with a thumb break-http://www.shado.com/Leather-Holsters/Shado-Leather-Belt-Holster.html good quality holsters, (not made in the US-but then neither is my TV)-I shoot a Cougar and I think recoil is less than my CZ-love both guns
    The holster I have fits well, great retention and looks great, for 35 bucks is impossible to beat.
    I had to adjust the sights, shot left also, I think is inherent to the trigger mechanism, with the funky external trigger bar, kinda of a built pull to the left..Shoots great now, I can get 2" groups at 15 yds. Remember to move the rear sight the same direction as you w3ant poa to move, ie: if shooting left and want POA to move right, move the rear sight to the right (as you see from the hammer end of your pistol)
  3. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Thanks for the holster info... thats really cheap for a fitted leather holster. I may have to pick one up.

As for the shooting left... Sights adjusted... shots now landing on target, center chest at 25+ feet. Like the gun a lot, shoots great still zero rounds have failed. My buddy just bought a Walther P99... it is so freaking nice I'm wishing I had looked at one before I bought the Cougar.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Theres always tomorrow.;)
  5. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

We're gonna go shoot here in a few weeks when he gets back in town... We'll have to swap guns for a few mags... If it shoots a lot better I may have to go for the trade in. Even though I really was thinking about a Ruger LCR as my next piece.
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good choice. I carry one everyday. It has the Crimson trace grips. Verry lightweight.
  7. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

The Cougar is my truck gun...inexpensive, shoots good, not too worried about scuffing it up-check out a CZ PCR or P01 ,aw hell check em all out:D