1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Could Japan have won in the Pacific . . .

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Ahhhhhhhh, Polish. My Bersa loving friend. The scenarios, or some combination of them, would have indeed painted a dire picture for the U.S. Forgetting for a moment the indisputable historical facts, if Midway would have seen OUR Navy losing three carriers (and Japan none), AND if Pearl Harbor would have included three to four devastating sweeps (including our critical infrastructure to wage war), then it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we would have lost the ability to project enough force to slow the Japanese down - let alone stop them.

The wild card is the Manhattan Project. No matter how we could have gotten our asses whipped in a host of wild, ficititious scenarios, we could have still brought them to their knees if we dropped about five or ten Fat Boys on major centers of Japanese population at some point. Question: if we would have gotten our asses whipped in the Pacific, it would seem likely that we would have no bases close enough to launch the B-29's for multiple strikes on the Japanese mainland to deliver a little atom-splitting fun. So, where could we have launched such an attack under this scenario? Who knows?

We're all home boys and its great fun to cheer for our brave American forefathers who fought this awful war. But don't delude yourself; providence was on our side, random chance smiled upon us repeatedly, and we were bold battle planners. However, there were plenty of strategic dice rolls that if wouldn't have rolled in our favor, would have meant a succession of crushing losses that would have made it hard to sustain a defense against Japan. A loss on our part was a real possibility.
  2. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

It would had taken longer, but the outcome would had no changed. But, the American performance in Europe would'd been affected, don`t you think? And then...
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Actually, these "Alternative Military History" and "What If" questions remind me that If Pigs Had Wings They Could Fly......and the State of Iowa would have the world's largest Air Force! :D :D :D

Yamamoto was a supurb strategist....but he was also a pragmatist:

""I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

"In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success."

I agree with most here......yeah, it would've taken longer, but final defeat of Japan was inevitable.

4. Yamamoto was certainly no fool, X, and deep down I don't think he believed Japan could win a full scale Pacific conflict with the U.S. He had served as the Japanese naval attaché in Washington during the 1920s and understood the war-making capabilities of the this country far better than the political leadership. When ordered to fight, like any good soldier, he fought, and used the tactics he believed gave Japan the best chance of success, i.e., a strategy geared toward a quick victory. The problem the Japanese faced, even with their early conquests, was industrial capacity and resources to sustain a war over the vast expanse of the Pacific. Once the Japanese were forced over onto the defensive--after Midway that is--the issue was no longer even remotely in doubt.