Countersniper scopes???

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by .308 shooter, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

I have a Nikon Monarch scope variable power up to 16x. At 200 yds its pretty hard to see the 1" square I'm aiming at. I'm joining a club with a 600yd range. I'm looking at a Countersniper brand scope, either 32x max or 40x max power. Some of the reviews of the scope are great, some are not so great.

Anyone have any experience with them... I'd prefer a Nightforce, but that's just out of my price range.

Thanks,

Jamey
  2. gszeto99

gszeto99 New Member

If it were me I would just save up a little longer to get a nightforce. Warranty is good. Construction is bullet proof (literally, just look at their website in the military section about a nightforce scope that continued to function after being shot and was used to finish a mission).

Countersniper scopes seem a little fishy with military contracts that no active or retired personal can seem to find. Lens coatings with names that don't mean anything. A high end scope with cheap PLASTIC turrets?

Here is a review done by someone on the snipershide forum: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1303449&Searchpage=1&Main=119141&Words=countersniper&Search=true#Post1303449

See for yourself what happend to the countersniper scope and how well it did in the tests (I will give you a hint: for your hard earned money--go with nightforce).

Hope this helps,

Gene
  3. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

As a potential cost effective alternative to a new Nightforce scope you might wish to check out the generally excellent quality high native power and high boosted power used scopes that appear for sale on Benchrest Central. Their classified ads section often contain some pretty good deals on high quality goods.
  4. sturkis

sturkis New Member

Save your money for the Nightforce. I have tried Leupold and they are good but if you want a scope that will hold up you have to go with Nightforce. I have 5 of them and wouldnt give them up. Plus they hold their value.
    I have a 5.5 x22x56 and shot it out to 1200yds and if I could see you I could hit you.
    Dont buy the Barska! It is a POS! Went to a Sniper School and one of the students started with one and before the 1st day was over the reticle had come loose inside the scope.
    Just my 2 cents.
  5. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I recently purchased a 10-40x50 countersniper with 35mm tube. So far it is was clear enough to make out a finch sitting a tree about 500yds off. I was concerned after reading some negative reviews, like the one above from snipershide.com.

There are many, many great reviews from people who have bought them at Sportmansguide and other retailers, google it and check for yourself. I have only read 2 bad reviews out of about 100. On the other hand, many of the gun forums I have read rakes the scope severely by many who haven't even bothered to research them.

So giving due diligence, and honestly somewhat concerned I may have made a bad choice, I called dark ops holdings in Springfield MO, just 70 miles away from my home. I was immediately connected with Frank Miller, CEO of dark ops, and he answered all my questions thouroughly and offered above and beyond customer service. He shoots an M1A as I do and was concerned that I had purchased a bit too powerful scope for my rifle and was willing to even trade me out for another scope even though I had purchased it through sportsmans guide. Not something that you find everyday!

The scopes are manufactured in Rochester, NY with US parts except for the glass which is German made by Schott. A 126 year old company that makes specialty and exotic glass. Google it!

I enjoy this forum so far and I would hope that integrity is maintained and not taken over like other forums where most of what I see is a bunch of self-proclaimed "experts" who really know not of what they are talking about and damned if they do any research. Snipers hide posters called the scope chinese made junk? How stupid. why would you give any providence to such unresearched rabble? How many actual snipers do you think are at snipers hide? Remember that there is a big difference btwn a sniper and a long range bench shooter and a fanboy that thinks videogames qualify as experience.

One genius boy detective said he google earthed the address and found a vacant lot. Well thats smart. GE isn't exactly up to date and if you look now, there is a whole friggin industrial park there now!! Just geniuses these guys are!! Another said he called the number and got a cell phone VM, hmm, I called, got an automated menu, then an operator, then Frank. Guess someone doesn't know how to dial a phone?

OK, rant off, it just cost me a few hours making sure I had the facts and like usual, the peanut gallery was wrong again.

Addendum; with some cooperation from the weather, I will be shooting it this weekend and will report honestly. I am confident it can shoot as well as I do.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Pops bought one one for his .308 and it does him just fine. For the money you cant beat it. It like this man, here we are compareing objects again. If you dont have the money to be throwin around get the counter sniper. I aint no sniper, my dad aint no sniper either, but what we are, are shooters. I know on his .308 at 450 yards it was able to allow pops to put several rounds in the black. Dont need much else than that. I have spotted c'yotes with his and was able to make them out just fine at 500+ yards. I agree with Infidel on this on brother.
  7. Tactical_308

Tactical_308 New Member

I am so happy that I found this Post tonight...so happy that I joined this Forum so that I could reply to it.
    This is the first intelligent review of this brand of optic I have read tonight and I would like to thank you for confirming what I have known for some time now. These scopes are a GREAT value at their price and quality. When I first thought about purchasing a C.S. I read many reviews by people who never even shot through one claiming that they are junk and a scam. Being someone who likes to do his own research rather than follow the lemmings, I dug deeper and found reviews by those who actually BOUGHT and SHOT the things who loved them. Folks who said they would buy another one if they needed to. Real reviews from people who knew what they were talking about, not the self appointed experts that frequent the "hide". You know the dress-up snipers who get all high and mighty because they can afford to play "ARMY" with only the most costly of toys and smear the hell out of things that do not reflect how big their wallets are.
    People who pay no mind to how many game animals have been taken with less costly scopes, not to mention the very Snipers made famous in past wars did so with what would be junk by today's standards.
    So I bought the 1x4 powered Crusader after doing my homework and I could not be happier with my choice. The glass is bright and clear the knobs are crisp and make an audible click when turned, the scope holds zero and follows the ballistics of the .556 just as it should according to the ballistic program I use to get my dope on a target that is further than my 100yd zero. The scope will follow the ballistics just as it should and comes rite back down to zero when reset. My scope has 1/4 MOA knobs and has 18 MOA per turn witch works out perfect as you count up and down it is very easy to see where you are at in your elevation off zero. The reticle while I will admit is busy works well once you understand how to use the thing...and while I am no rocket scientist, this took me all of the better part of 60 seconds to figure out but to many this is too hard so I'll type real slow so they can follow along...set your zero...lets say for 100yds...yer half way there...now lets say you want to go from 100 to say 500 yards and you have in advance set the lower xhair with a minor adjustment of the turrent so your round will impact on that point of aim with lets say two moa of adjustment rather than spinning out the clicks to go from 100 to 500 on the knob. If you know in advance where your round will hit with just a slight turn of the knob it makes a longer shot just that much faster and it also makes your return to zero just that much faster. This is not that hard to understand yet if you read the reviews people are dumfounded by it and the ignorance is perpetuated by a flat out lack of hands on information and an elitists smear campaign.
    So don't be a Lemming! Take it from those who actually use the things and use them often. While I am no way an expert on tactical optics, I am a very budget and VALUE minded consumer who buys American when and where he can and believes that if it works...someone will do it just as good for less money.
    Thank you for your honest review and I hope more shooters find this information and not be duped by the "real snipers" and ninjas on the "hide"
  8. Tactical_308

Tactical_308 New Member

BTW Hello everyone! I'm new to your forum and would like to thank you for having me and my 2cents. I look forward to conversations with you all.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

this is a friends 1000 meter in .308 based on the Tikka T3 Ultra ( match barrel with rail integrated)

he loves the C/S systems setup and it was a good 2 grand cheaper than the alternate

its zero'd for 600 meters and the reticle is excellent

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  10. Tactical_308

Tactical_308 New Member

Please don't perpetuate ignorance with regurgitated unintelligent babble that you read on the "hide". The so called "snipers" who's greatest achievements are dressing as ninjas and ridding our great country of those evil A.Q. terrorists, most people think of as coyotes and ground hogs.

If your going to offer your review on something, please be sure you know what the hell you are talking about and not just following the herd.
    The turrets are NOT plastic and the glass is VERY clear and bright but you would know this had you actually done your OWN research like an intelligent person would have.
    These scopes shoot great and hold zero great and return to zero great...they are a bit heavy but not compared with some of the higher end scopes out there they are on par with the weight. Side by side on the same power looking through my brothers NXS There is very little quality difference in the glass. They are both bright they are both clear and distortion free. My brother is amazed at the brightness of my scope compared to his that he spent over $1,800. on. To me this is were true value is.
    These scopes are American made and offer a great warranty to back them up.
    If this reply seams a bit harsh, well that is the world we live in. When sheeple start reviewing things they know next to nothing about, things get distorted and the herd gets lots. At that time its up to the sheep dogs to lead the herd back to the pasture and away from the wolfs.
    I hope THIS helps
  11. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Update:

I know it has been some time, but here is my report on the CS scope after shooting.

I found it clear and bright. It held its zero shot after shot from my M1A. I did however end up returning it to sportmansguide because my eyesight is not what it used to be and I found the reticle so fine that I could not find it readily in my sight picture. Plus, the reticle made no sense to me as I was an old school Army trained sniper, weened on the Army Mil-Dot.

The reticle was the ONLY reason I returned this scope. I am currently considering a crusader as soon as I sell the scope that i had before the CS, a POS that i am embarrased to mention the name of(not BSA, I would never sink that low).

I would not hesitate to recommend any CS scope based on my experience and will buy again in the future. Of course, next time I will probably go factory direct given my proximity and experience with the manufacturer.
  12. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I would like to clarify that there is a real difference btwn a long range shooter and a sniper. Snipers are not really long range shooters like many bench shooters and LR competitors are. Yes we( the real snipers) have trained on 1000 ykd ranges like 66E at Bragg, but we do not aspire to that shot. We train to move in as close as possible undetected and take 1,2 or 300 yd shot accurately, though a grand is not out of our league. For cryin out loud you can watch a little of a history channel program today and find that out!

I am just getting a little tired of hearing the "sniper" moniker tossed about so readily when it actually describes so few.

And for all you wannabes out there. I spent most of my time on an LP/OP taking intel. No hollywood there.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  13. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I hope you post again! Very intelligent posts Sir!
  14. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I don't own one and can't speak to there quality. But brother, that is one strange website. You would have to be a chemist/geologist/engineer to understand all those processes and chemical applications they claim. The one thing that stuck in my head was that at no point did they use the term "fully multi-coated optics". I believe that is a requirement for any quality scope. They said "multi-coated" quite a lot. Not the same thing. And they say at the bottom, some may have slight markings from being mounted. What's that about? They also declare Rochester NY as the "Optics capital of the World". Apparently because this is written on a new type telescope anyone can view thru at the Rochester Airport. Woudn't some place in Germany deserve that honor?

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/about.html&setup=
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  15. Infidel

Infidel New Member

All I can tell you is read my post just a few up. I had this scope for two months, shot over a hundred rounds through my NM M1A with it and it was repeatable, bright and clear. Like I explained before, the only reason I returned it was the funky reticle. It was too fine and the marks made no sense to me. All I need is a mildot reticle...period.
  16. _rory_

_rory_ New Member

I am going to say this. I am a member of snipershide. Actually there are alot of military members on that sight. We aren't ninjas and don't play airsoft and all that crap.

Please save your money and get a swfa super sniper 10x. By brother has one on his rem. 700 and i am pretty sure it will hold up alot better that the Counter sniper scope. Oh and the counter snipers were never used in the military or were ever contracted. They are just as crappy as ncstar or barska (i have tried out both before)

Oh watch this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVW5-F242Yo
  17. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Sounds fair enough to me, Infidel. I have no doubt as to there quality. They are out of my league, anyway. Just couldn't understand their website, but that doesn't mean a thing. I had no intention of giving offense. Certainly, if you own one, you would be qualified to speak to your experiences with the scope.
    I would love to have one ,funky website or not.:)
  18. Infidel

Infidel New Member

//
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  19. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Oh I'm offended by no means. I think that there is the chance that some folks get bad ones, some get good, like any other product.

I had a good experience with my first, my second(if I buy it) may not, dunno.

I just get weary of every noob and wannabe calling them chinese junk, because that is incorrect(like rory, above). I say, if you have bad experience with something, say so, but don't make unfounded accusations. That is just stupid and annoying to those trying to make an educated decision.

For the record, they are made in Rochester New York except for the glass that is made in Germany. You can google the company and find it, I did. Then, since I live only about 70 miles from Springfield, I have been to thier bldg and have spoke on the phone with Frank Miller, CEO of the company. I doubt any one else can say that they have done that much research on the equipment they own.
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

RSL shoot today
    Bill Worley Korean veteran with a book full of confirmed in Korea jumped onto the rig posted above

800 yards 10-10 shots and Bill is 80 something

yeah lousy scope eh , i think good shooters can use most anything decent , and his comment today was he wished he had this scope instead of the old BSA one he had when he was a using them

i did ok too ;)

and its been crazy windy here today ..

but a bloody good day, i got walled ( explain in another post) and we all have fun at the range
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011