Couple of H&Rs

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by duck32man, Dec 29, 2010.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

I have a few revolvers I am looking for info on. Years of manufacture and such. thanks for any input

#1 Harrington & Richardson Safety hammer Double Action
    cal is 32 (not sure what type of cartridge)
    Octagon barrel
    hammer says Pat. April 4th 1887
    S#99XX

#2 Harrington & Richardson Top break
    cal 38 (not sure what type of cartridge)
    S#55XX (under grip on cylinder it is minus the first 5 - 5XX)

#3 hopkins & Allen XL Double Action
    cal 38 (not sure what type of cartridge)
    Octagon barrel
    Hammer says Jan. 27th 85
    S# 87XX

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

#1 H&R 1st Model 3rd Variation "SAFETY HAMMERLESS" variation of the AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION - made circa 1898 - 1904, very nice example - v.good condition; 6 shot .32 S&W (the short one) or .32 H&R Long BLACK POWDER

#2 H&R AUTOMATIC EJECTING 1st Model 2nd or 3rd Variation (2nd has two guide rods under ejector along with round center rod, 3rd has only pentagonal center ejector rod) - made circa 1885 - 1889. Also looks to be in v.good condition; 5 shot .38 S&W (not "SPECIAL") BLACK POWDER. To find the FULL serial number, you will need to pull the cylinder (push in small button on left side of top strap while lifting the barrel latch - when fully raised, release the push button and the latch should stap in upright position. The unscrew the cylinder from the arbor about 3 1/2 turns and pull off), the full serial number will be on bottom of latch.

Bill Goforth should be along soon to provide ALL the details.
    IMG_1750.jpg
    Nice examples you have there.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. duck32man

duck32man Member

Jim thank you so much.
    How would i figure out if it is 32 short or H&R black powder. Just curious, I don't intend to shoot it.

Auto ejecting has the pentagonal ejector rod so 3rd model.
    I picked up an old Iver 3rd Model safety a couple of months ago along with a marlin standard 1875 and I'm hooked on these old guns. I love the history and unique designs. thanks again
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

duck -
    That gun can chamber either of those rounds - the .32 S&W is still in production; the 32 H&R Long is long gone, obsolete - it was supplanted by the .32 S&W Long - the H&R round was just slightly longer than the .32 S&W and had a bit more power - but not as much, nor as long as the .32 Long. Both of your H&Rs were made to handle black powder chamber pressures, before the H&R switch over to smokeless/Nitro based powders in 1905.
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL (BLACK POWDER MODEL) ---1884-1904
    32 caliber 6 shot, 38 caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, barrel length 2½, 4½ & 6 inches nickel finish standard, blue considered rare
    Marked on top strap “AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”,
    First variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard & rear trigger guard retaining pin slightly off set to the rear -----1884-1887
    Second variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard -----1884-1887
    Third variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard -----1888-1897
    Fourth variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel --------1898-1904
    100%=$225 60%=$95, 1st Variation rarely seen, add 50% premium., for all American Double Actions variations and variants: add 15% premium for blue finish, add 10% premium for 4 ½ “ or 6” barrel, add 5%-10% premium for nickel trigger guard (pre 1898)

SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL-----------------1888-1904
    Same as American Double Action First Model except has patented Spurless Hammer, patent date will be marked on Hammer
    Marked on top strap “SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION”
    100%=$235 60%=$95

AUTOMATIC EJECTING FIRST MODEL TOP BREAK REVOLVER
    (BLACK POWDER) -----------------------------------------------1885-1889
    Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, hard rubber grip panels with Floral design, 3¼ inch barrel length, Modified American Double Action mechanism and frame, nickel finish,
    First Variation marked on top of barrel with company name and address only and two guide rods for ejector --------------------1885-1886
    Second Variation patent date 10-4-87 marked on top of barrel along with company name and address, extractor does not have extra guide rods --1887-1889
    VALUE: 100%=$325 60%=$125 add 30% premium for 1st Variation

the H&A i don't have a lot of information on i can only tell you it was made between 1885 and 1899. the patent date listed on the hammer is for the folding hammer. as far as i can tell it was not used after 1899 when a fire completely distroyed the factory. the XL series was a popular H&A solid frame before the folding hammer was introduced and after it was dropped.
    bill
  6. duck32man

duck32man Member

Bill - Again I appreciate your knowledge on these. I just purchased your Iver book. Any update on the H&R release?

Thanks
    Dan
  7. duck32man

duck32man Member

Bill Or Jim - Does a 32 S&W or a 38 S&W mean it is balck powder or does it depend on when the cartridge was produced? i have some 32 S&W long 98 gr and some 85 gr Lubaloy, but not sure if it is black powder.
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the 38 S&W and the 32 S&W were both loaded as black and smokeless powder versions, the 32 S&W Long (i believe) was only loaded as a smokeless powder round. the year of manufacture is critical in determing what load any revolver is chamber for.

as i have been told, the changes made at the beginning of the H&R book has caused all the indexes and page references to be out of line. a long process had to be undertaken of rereading the book to correct these misaligned page notations. at present the book is over 400 pages.

bill
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member