Couple of old gun questions.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by zachp, May 8, 2012.

1. zachp

zachp New Member

I have my grandpas Walther P38 with the original holster and two mags. I was told a couple years ago that it is only worth a couple hundred bucks, never planned to get rid of it but was curious. Now last night I was on the auction site and seen a couple P38s going for 1300 to 1900. What makes these worth so much? Any telltale signs I can look for? I do not have a pic right now, I may be able to post one tonight.

I also have an old Westpoint Model 167 22 single shot bolt action that was also his. Can anyone tell me anything about it? There is no serial number anywhere on the gun and I am curious to know when it was made. I know it cant be worth much but a rough idea would be nice.

Thanks for any help and I will try to post pics tonight.

The Walther serial number is 487x
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your information about the P38 is far too little to tell you anything. It could be a valuable wartime pistol, or a postwar pistol which is worth much less. Depending on which manufacture made the pistol, the year it was made, and the condition, the value can vary by thousands of dollars. Without a clear idea of the markings plus good, clear closeup photos, there is nothing further we can tell you.
  3. zachp

zachp New Member

Well I appreciate your answer and when I return home on Thursday or Friday I will get the best pics I can and post them here. Thanks again!
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Be sure to get closeup pictures of the markings
  5. popgun

popgun New Member

Don't forget pic of the mag and holster. Vintage WWII mags are going for a premium these days and a good WWII holster can go for $250
  6. zachp

zachp New Member

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That pistol was made by Walther (code ac), the original designer/manufacturer in 1941, before quality began to deteriorate. It is the 4870th pistol made in 1941, so it is quite early in the year. In nice condition, those bring $1200 or so, but that one shows some rust and was not well cared for, but even so should bring around $800. Maybe others will have better ideas on value, and cite on-line auctions, but two guns are seldom the same, so just looking up what "a P.38" sells for is not very indicative of what another gun might bring.

As noted, the original holster and magazines, if available, will add more.

Jim
  8. zachp

zachp New Member

Here is the whole group together.
    [​IMG]