Cowboy action and cartrige conversions

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by AngelDeville, Oct 19, 2007.

1. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

In my break from CAS, I have sold my Ruger Vaqueros, and so far have replaced them wth one 7 1/2" Stainless Old Army.

I'm looking at either using it as a traditional cap and ball or converting it to cartrige.

does anyone have experience with either the R&D or the Kirst conversion cylinders?

Are they worth the (very high) expense?

My future pistol plans include either a second Old Army or a .32/.36 second pistol.

Also does anyone have any reccommendations for a CAS related forum?
  2. LEE3370

LEE3370 New Member

Howdy AngelDeville,
    I shoot a Ruger Old Army a lot with a R&D conversion cylinder using Winchester cowboy loads and mild reloads. It is not too much different than shooting a Blackhawk. I don’t shoot competition but have shot with some friends just for fun and I can drop the conversion cylinder, reload, and get back too shooting faster than any of them can reload a standard single action six gun.
    I take off the plunger and loading lever and just use the base pin. The base pin retaining screw, I loosen and tighten with my thumbnail. It works real quick.
    Are they worth it? My wife didn't scream too much, so I guess, yes it was worth it.
    Here is another CAS site:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/

Good luck
    Lee
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I've never shot the Ruger Old Army's. I have shot a couple thousand Black Powder rounds thru my Vaquero's though. I now shoot Uberti open tops or my cap and ball revolvers. I have seen many shoot the ROA's with and with out conversion cylinders with out a hitch. They look pretty classy and if your not concerned about being period correct get 'em and use them. You had Vaqueros you already know what to acspect from Ruger as far as quality goes.

Lee give you a good forum to check out
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I too have plunked many a BP round downrange out of my Vaqueros, and Marlin, but even with BP it just seems too "modern" for me.

I hope to end up with a Spencer, and a Lever shotgun.

Looking into the conversions a little more, I think I'm leaning toward a pair of '62 Police pistols in .36, or '49 Pockets in .31, and foregoing the conversion. It will be much cheaper than another Ruger + conversions.
  5. Little Rooster

I shoot an '87 Lever gun also, I don't like it as much as either of my double barrels. It's one of the Coyote Cap 87's and he did a great job on it. However I shoot a Henry's rifle and C&B's or Open Tops. When I shoot my 92 and Rugers I may pull it out to accompany them.

Good Luck with your choice
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Have you concidered buiying a reproduction Richards-Mason conversion pistol that Cimmeron Arms are selling. I have one that Navy Arms sold many years back and love it. Cimmeron Arms has stepped up a bit more as to choices in caliber and barrel lengths, I had to get a 7.5" barrel but now you can get them down to 4"+ barrels. Also they have 38 and 45 calibers now, mine is a 38 special. T%ake a look at Cimmeron Arms web site. IF no dealers near you OR you are not a dealer, I am Cimmeron Direct.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There was just an article on conversions in the July 2007 issue of GUNS magazine if you can get a hold of a copy.
  8. Little Rooster

I would agree with JJMitchell into looking at the Richard Masons. They are a classy gun, with a wide range of calibers and barrel lenghts available. They shoot really well one handed or one in each hand
  9. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I'll look into the Masons, and just enjoy my Ruger for what it is....

[​IMG]
  10. LEE3370

LEE3370 New Member

"I'll look into the Masons, and just enjoy my Ruger for what it is...."

May I add, it IS beautiful.

I may have to get mine out with powder and balls even if it is cold.
  11. Little Rooster

12. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Curious as to why you broke away.....
  13. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I moved from So. Cal, got busy with the new job and haven't found a local club.

I think I may be leaning more toward the "Modern" shooting sports now.