1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Cowboy ... Love Ya Man!

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/9/02 11:45:50 pm)
    Cowboy ... Love Ya Man!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The majority of us back in the fabulous days of the sixties all had our little "handles" that we refered to one another with ...

"Cowboy" was his handle and his real name is Luster G. Copus and at that time he hailed from Corpus Christi Texas.

Tall and slender with sandy brown hair .....

Extremely quiet and rarely spoke .....

Could'nt have weighed more than 150 pounds soakin' wet but he could hump that M60 machine gun like it was a toy and when the shit hit the fan he definately had it together .....

I should know ... As at that time I was his assigned A-Gunner and my duties were to keep the ammo linked and direct fire whenever the need arose.

He was there too .....

The story and postings regarding Operation Essex ......

I was (as was my position) right behind him as we waded through the murky waters of that nasty river when we attempted to outflank the enemy who had ended up taking us by surprise instead. Sometimes doing it by the book does not always work and that certainly was the case on the early evening hours of November 6, 1967.

After the enemys' automatic weapons fire opened up the skull of our point man he calmly said ... "Ready Mack?"

And away we went .....

Wading out towards the middle of the river in order to get a better shot at where we thought the machine gun nest had been concealed the enemys rounds were reaking havoc on Cowboy and I and it was as if things went into the slow motion mode and it was "exactly" like what one sees on the tube .....

The water was kicking up all around us and there was all kinds of yelling that could be faintly heard as Cowboy and the enemy gunner took turns with 100 round bursts at one another until such time they began sending a few RPG rounds in our direction and it was time to hit the banks for some cover .....

Although this "Gunners Shootout" only lasted for approximately several minutes it had seemed like hours.

As the point mans body floated by Cowboy and I we both were suddenly overcome with that "pissed off" attitude and it was time to return the favor and the barrels that evening were definately smoking from the heat of hundreds of rounds that were fired at each other .....

Nobody here actually won .....

Matter of fact it was a "Draw" .....

Cowboy and I were not even touched (which truly amazed the shit outta me) .....

Nor were the enemy gunners ..... which I am certain they were probably amazed as well.

Ordered to withdraw we had the one KIA at that time and we all had that rage built inside as we stared at the poncho that covered his remains and was dimly lit through the night when Spookys flares were dropping around the treeline.

From that point on into the night things worsened and we eneded up with more loses but thats another story .....

Yupper!

Cowboy was one helluva Gunner and when we were called up as in "Gun Up!" we were a tough team to beat and the fear (that we all experienced at one time when we first went out into the bushes) was no longer there and we simply "did'nt give a shit anymore" .....

I do believe I covered this scenario in a topic entitled "Attitudes" .....

AND NOW!

RIGHT NOW!

THIRTY SOME YEARS LATER!

On the eve of the birthday of the United States Marine Corps.....

This is where this story comes to an ending such as those that are only found in Fairy Tales .....

The good stuff .....

Brotherhood .....

Warm feelings .....

Happy times .....

Smiles .....

Laughter .....

Love for one another .....

Thats right Cowboy .... Love Ya Man!

Shall I continue ..... ?????

Do you really want to know ..... ?????

Six

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 9:20:29 pm)
    Re: Cowboy ... Love Ya Man!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes Six....always...

out..
    Esse Quam Videri

cricket328
    (11/11/02 9:47:31 pm)
    Please do continue!!

Chris

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (11/12/02 12:35:27 am)
    Six, let's get with it troop.....please tell us more! - Hope