Cowles & Son 22 Darrenger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 25yretcoastie, Apr 24, 2012.

1. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

A friend at work brought one to work to day and asked me to find some info on it. I have found out made 1865 to 1873 in Chicopee Mass Serial nunber is # 273 out of about 3000 made. They also made the same design in .30 cal rimfire about the same time. Condition is fair to but all the sliver plate is gone so if polished it would be very pretty but has not been done to it. Slight rifileing in the barrel and seems to work smoothly. I have found a value on the web of about $250 to $ 500. Can anyone give me anymore info on this one and if rounds are still avaiable for it?

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cool pic 25.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The picture is too poor to determine the condition, but with the silver gone and the barrel in poor shape, it would probably bring around $350 or so. According the Flayderman, guns marked "WW COWLES DEAN & CO." or "SMITH & DEANE" will bring a premium.

.30 rimfire is unobtainable except in collector quantities and collector prices. A .22 would fire .22 Short, but I recommend against firing that old gun. If you choose to do so, I strongly suggest using only .22 CB Caps; modern .22 Shorts are too powerful and may damage the gun.

Jim
  4. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

I was thinking the same thing too rare to screw it up by shooting it just for gee wizzz
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

JIM K is correct.