The Firearms Forum banner

Coyote Best Bet in .243 Win?

773 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  rawright54 
#1 · (Edited)
My shootin' buddy has a 'yote problem in her neighborhood, and her gun of choice is a Remington bolt in .243 Win. She's a crack shot, and has that thing dialed in to perfection at 100 yards using 100 gr BTSP ammo I've been loading for her. I have no doubt that she can hit the things, but in her area there are a few neighbors, and she's afraid to let loose with that beast for fear of a slug passing clear through the coyote and into a dwelling 1/2 mile beyond. I've suggested that we load up some hollow points to ensure good fragmentation, but there are so many choices! And on top of that, there are now polymer-tipped bullets that are supposed to be even nastier.

I'm looking at some Barnes 58 gr HPs vs the 72 gr, as I think either will do the job. But there are some others in the same class, but with different construction that I'm not at all familiar with. Can someone with more experience give me a recommendation or two? It's got to be big enough to do the job, but built in a way that it's not likely to pass through the target. And in the unlikely event that she might miss a shot, it should be a round that will shatter on ground impact, rather than bounce intact. I'd appreciate any guidance!!

[EDIT] Never mind. I just found some Speer TNT 70 gr JHPs that should do the job, and appear to have excellent target performance, as well. At $122 for 750, I should have stock enough for a while!:D [/EDIT]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.