Coyote caliber.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by bunnyhunter12, May 14, 2007.

1. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

My main source of meat and big game hunting enjoyment comes from caribou. However the number of licenses for the island (Newfoundland, Canada) has been reduced by 1375 leaving just 2760. The major reason for this is the killing of calfs by, you guessed it, coyotes. Coyotes crossed from the mainland during the 1980s on the ice pack that forms between the island and the east coast of Canada in the spring (just so you get a clear picture, the island of Newfoundland is about the size of Florida). The dogs have been moving west and gaing in numbers until, now, they are well established on the entire island and experts are saying that we could face a ban on coyote hunting by 2009. I wish to do something about that. I have never hunted dogs before so my calling won't bring 'em in very close so I'm going to need a very accurate, long range rifle. The law says it has to be a "small caliber, center fire rifle, not greater than .225 caliber" Any suggestions on a caliber that fits that description? How concerned should I be with barrel life? How much am I going to have to spend? Any help would be great.
  2. john riley

john riley New Member

.223 would be a decent caliber for coyotes more than powerfull enough, and decent accuracy for 2-300 yards if you do your part. H&r handi rifle can be had for about 200 usd it's a single shot decent rifle available in a variety of calibers from .22 hornet to 45-70..some also like combo guns such as the savage 24f for coyotes as you have a rifle such as a .223 on top and a 20 or 12 gauege on the bottom in case one darts by at closer range, msrp is about 660, remington makes a similar model under the spartan line in .223 and 12 guage that retails for about 200 cheaper than the savage. but anything from .22 hornet on up is good for coyotes there are a wide variety of rifles in these "varmint" chamberings available on the commercial market. but for sheer cost effectiveness and reliabilty a h&r handirifle is hard to beat. (plus you can send away and have the manufacturer fit your riofle with anyother rifle or shotgun barrel that you choose) than you have 1 interchangable fire arm that you could use for dogs, caribou, and grouse. good luck in your search.
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

223, 243, 260, 270 depends on range you shoot at.
  4. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

.220 Swift or .22-250 are both excellent choices in dog guns. Long range, relatively flat trajectory, accurate with a lot of energy delivered down-range.
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Remember, the guy said that .225 is the largest rounds one can fire in Canada for hunting (coyote?).
  6. Given your restrictions in Canada, I'd go with either the .223 Remington or the .22-250 Remington, bunny. Both are certainly adequate for coyotes, though the .22-250 would give you a bit more range capability.
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Posted this on another thread, but it fits in here also....:D

I love my CZ in .204 Ruger. in which I fire .40 gr V-MAX Hornadys.

It has a single set trigger, making it deadly accurate.

I got mine for around $550.

I bought it to neutralize coyotes before they get too close to the house

to eat our little Papillon show dogs (could easily be mistaken for a fuzzy bunny).

It will vaporize..:eek: , translates: nothing left to eat...:D

small vermin such as bushy tailed tree rats....:eek:

Muzzle velocity is 3900 fps.

Trajectory from ammo box.....

100 yds. +0.7"
    200 yds. 0.0"
    300 yds. -4.3"
    400 yds. -13.2"
    500 yds. -28.1"

Here is a pic of mine...

[​IMG]
  8. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I have to agree .223 or the 22-250

Heck of a rifle Al Mount
  9. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

.17mach2 or its brother whose name I forgot. Small round traveling at over 4k feet per second. Cant go wrong with that. That said, depending on the range and budget,a .22 magnum would work. I dont hunt coyote,or anything beyong rabbits and squirells so Im no pro. But those would be my choice.-char
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Lived and hunted in B.C. for a decade ... wish I was still there! But, for varmints including coyotes and bobcats from BC to TX to MI to SoCal any 22CF. I personally like the 22-250 loaded with fragile bullets (SX, Blitz) to eliminate ricochet. But, use a 222 a lot and use a 222RM, a 223 quit a bit. I have used 243/6mm class, very adequate, but do not fine them necessary. In fact, I have experimented on coyotes from the 222 to 375H&H :)) yes) and find the very high vel (~3500fps) 22CFs kill quicker/claner. The large calibres sure killed but often blew through the smaller animals and they ran ... several hundred yards was not uncommon. The HV 22CFs stopped them ... there!

Used 222, 222RM, 221 RFB, 223, 22-250, 220Swift, 243, 6MM, 7.57, 7MMM, 7x61S&H, 280, 308, 30-06, 300WM, 358, 350RM, 375H&H. Did not have a 458 to try :D . Once I got away from 22CFs the 358 with pistol bullets (slow loads) worked okay.
  11. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Thanks for all the feed back guys. Feel free to keep it coming. In the original question I said that there could be a ban on coyote hunting, wrong, meant to say, ban on CARIBOU hunting by 2009. Guess you guys figured that out anyway. Any thoughts on barrel life for varmint caliber rifes?
  12. Birdville2011

Birdville2011 New Member

Since you're hunting coyotes, theres 1 thing you should know: unless you have a semi auto, you're only getting off 1 shot, which means only 1 coyote (2 if you have a really lucky shot) because they run like crazy whenever they hear it (not like you didn't know that) but if you're going to try to put a dent in the population, you might want to consider a semi auto so you can get more than 1 (depending on range and your shooting abilities). as for caliber, .222 so you can hunt all day w/out hurting yourself. also, they're scared of their own dead (they won't come within a couple hundred yards of a dead body).
  13. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Hey bunny, I thought I have taught you by now. The greatest Coyote and everything else caliber ever is by far the 7.62x39(SKS) But if you can't sneek away with that try to find something in .204 or 22-250 Either of these can be had in a H&R single shot for around $250 brand new
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  14. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

You could get a Ruger Ranch Rifle in .223. :D
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

As much as I love my 22-250 I'm leaning towards the .220 Swift as well...Deadly accurate just like the 22-250 just quite a bit more punch.

Birdville brings up a good point, but I have to interject my own experience here as well...Getting off more than one "feasable" shot on a pack of coyote is rare I agree, but I agree to the point that even with the semi auto you will be "spraying" at them after the first shot, while giveing up the inherent accuracy of a bolt gun...I would argue that you hunt with a friend or two. We always call which dog, hog, whatever that we're aiming at, then "on three" we take our shot at virtually the same time and they never know what hit them.

Crpdeth
  16. whip

whip New Member

I use a 22/250 for the majority of my coyote hunting. I have a .223 and its a fine coyote gun but it just doesn't hammer them like the 22/250 so its my pick. I don't have a 220 swift but I have seen a few coyotes shot with one and it will sure as heck knock them dead also. I don't have a clue what your country is like but if its brushy or forested I would consider a shotgun with #4 buck. I use a shotgun when I hunting the river bottoms here in Wyoming and its a lethal weapon on coyotes out to 40 yards or so. When they commit to a call here they keep coming unless they see or wind something. They will literally end up in your lap. I kill most of my coyotes with a rifle but many of the coyotes I miss every year just get to close before I can shoot and I end up educating a coyote. I have often consider bringing a shotgun also but that would be just too much stuff and I would surely have the wrong one in my hands when it counted.

If you really want to make an impact start setting snares and traps and aerial gunning thats what has made an impact here in Wyoming on coyote numbers. I personally believe you can hunt your guts out on coyotes and not have a lasting impact on their numbers. The more you kill the larger the litters according to research. But its fun trying!!!!

That taking them on three always causes me to slap the trigger I try to shoot the female (Generally the smaller of the big dogs) first and often the pups in the fall or the male in January or February will come back to look for her. After you dump one don't get in a hurry and just watch and wait 20 or 30 minutes. If you can sound like a wounded coyote it works even better. Just like a dog with his tail caught in something. Doesn't work all the time but its worth a try.
  17. gijoeman

gijoeman New Member

Give the Stevens 200 in 22-250 or .223 a look, it's a great little rifle for the money. and if you wear out the barrel, it's not that hard to change the barrel.
  18. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

TRY THE 22 250, I HAVE BEEN FOR TWENTYFIVE YEARS. 55 GRAIN BULLET WORKS VERY WELL FOR ME, AND SEEMS TO BUCK THE WIND WELL. HAVE MADE SEVERAL 300 - 400 YARD SHOTS. USED THREE DIFFRENT RIFLES OVER THE YEARS GOT TEN YEARS ON THE CURRENT. NO BERRELL PROBLEMS YET. ALSO CARRY A 12GA PUMP WITH 3'' T SHOT FOR CLOSE AND DOUBLE SHOTS. WITH GOOD CALLING THIS CAN HAPPEN OFTEN.