1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

coyote hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 21bravo, Mar 13, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

im just curious to see y'alls opinions on using a 17HMR to coyote hunt with. ive thought about using either my .308, .270, or .30-30 but... .17HMR is a varmit rifle and a coyote is a varmit so... im thinking head shots? would like to hear your $0.02
  2. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I prefer to use my .223 bolt action with bi-pod, sling, black synthetic stock, and BSA optic, but it really depends on the distance, wind speed, etc. But if you want to take it down with one shot to the body i suggest a .270
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

thanks for the input. im not going to get to go til tuesday.. havent made up my mind what im gonna take yet, so more input from y'all would be appreciated.

im gonna be using an electronic "rabbit in distress" call. ill come back with a debrief on how it goes..
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

The .17 HMR works great on c'yotes but you have to be accurate. Its got a lot of speed and a lot of energy for such a small round. If you are a even an Average shot I'd see no problem.
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

thanks BU i know im not the greatest shot in the world but i like to consider myself an experienced shooter. thanks for the input
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Always remember there is room for improvement. Even the best Marksman is only a fair shot in his own mind. I will argue this point with any conceded joker who thinks he is the best. I seen a 50 year old self proclaimed sharpshooter get beat by a 15 year old. Both were firing the same gun and the same rounds at 700 yards.
  7. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

For me its all about one shot one clean kill. I recently shot a large skunk at close to 100yds with the 17HMR and it ran off requireing a second shot. Thats why I like the 22/250 or the 220 swift proven dog killers. I think there is a good use for the 17HMR just not a big coyot thats my 2cents worth.
  8. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

trust me BU.. im always tryin to inprove my shooting skill.

as you can tell by my avatar im in the army.. i qualified "sharpshooter" (i knocked down 33 out of 40, missed "expert" by 2:mad:) at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO in Feb, in the snow with targets freezing to the ground.....and i still get out shot by a friend of mine that has never had any type of "formal training". usually, the only times i can out shoot him is if i want to get serious about it and he is foolin around :rolleyes: like it was said in another thread, by Tranter i think, "practice, practice, practice"
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My brother was there back in 2001.
  10. Red84

Red84 New Member

Id say use your .308, you owe it to the animal, even if it is a coyote it still deserves a quick death. I have seen a few taken between 30-50 yards with a .17 and it does fine, anything further, go with your .308.
  11. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Never thought to use that high of a cliber for coyote, but a buddy of mine used a 7mm bolt action and said that did good.
  12. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

well... i went coyote hunting today (crazy me.. huntin instead of gettin drunk on my patron saint's day ...St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Engineers:D) anywho... went, used a "rabbits in distress" preditor call, took my .17HMR .....didnt even see a coyote:mad::mad: i did see 2 hawks though. they came right to that call!! beautiful birds.... i guess the problem was all the ammo i had said "coyote" on it instead of "targets of opportunity":rolleyes::cool:
  13. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Hey, any day hunting is better than a great day at work.Will admit that when growing up in Oklahoma all birds of prey were "Chicken Hawks" and were treated as such. Haven't shot one in over 40 years just because it was a hawk. Now if they get into the wife's chickens I have to try to convince them to leave. I have some"shellcracker" 12 gauge that work great for that most of the time.Personally for Coyotes I use a 22-250 but you 17 I believe is fine for moderate range shots of 50 yards or less,I also agree with one of the earlier posts that even a lowly coyote deserves a correctly placed shot.Have a great day shooting and Thank You for your service to our great country. Take care and stay safe as possible. catfish
  14. whip

whip New Member

I agree with catfish the 17hmr is a little light but with proper shot placement it will do the job. Personally I like my 22/250 also but a 12 guage shotgun with #4 buck is a very constant killer for coyotes under 50 yards.
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

just me i would go with the 270 using light bullets....