coyote hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 21bravo, Mar 13, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

Amen to the first catfish!!:D we were plannin on shootin the hawks (even though i think its illegal here in NC) but by the time we would find where they landed in the trees and could put the crosshairs on them they would fly to a different spot trying to find the rabbits from the call.

john, i think i have decided that from now on im using my Remington 700 .270 with some 130gr bullets.. like one of the NCO's at the Demolitions Range (range 33, Ft. Leonard Wood, MO) always told us when it came to how much C4 or TNT to use.... "P for plenty privates!!". theres no such thing as overkill i guess.:p:cool:
  2. swanshot

swanshot Active Member

The question that comes to my mine is the expected range.
    see my post "check it out". That rifle (in my post) is only good for 100 mts (110 yds).
    After that I start using my 6.5x55.
    So it becomes (IMHO) a matter of the right rifle and skills at the right range.
    I learned a really ugly lesson once trying to pull off a 250mtr shot with a 30/30. it took me 30 minutes to find that gut shot roo. I swore right then and there that I would never do that again. It's a truely horrible feeling.
  3. connor992

connor992 New Member

personally, i like to use my 308, i shot 4 nice coyotes this year 3 w/ my 308 and 1 with a bow.. i would go 308 because it has good range, and lots of takedown power, i got one on the run straight away at roughly 400 yards.. but if you want your pelts, it may be a good idea 2 go w/ a lighter caliber
  4. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

If you are going to keep/sell the pelts, you want as small a round as possible. I use a .223, but it'll knock a bigger hole than I like - too big of a hole to sew up. My hunting buddy has a .22-250 Howa, and it's a perfect gun for dawgs. A lung shot passes right through, but with a lot of energy - they'll drop right there. The hole is pretty small too.

On the .17HMR: I agree with Red. Up close, especially if you are hunting the smaller Western doggies, but be sure you do good shot placement so he dies quick. Stay ethical. It's not fair to the dog to use an underpowered round.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

While I am a fan of the HMR, it would be low on the coyote list. And it would be 20 grainers.

It really depends on where you hunt, terrain means a lot.

In south Texas I use a bolt gun for longer singles, but like the AR platform best. Inside 150 yards and a dot sight at night using spots, you can sometimes collect three at on calling station.
  6. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I have taken crows at 500 yards with my .17 HMR savage Model 93R17-FVSS. but i have not shot coyote with it yet but i think it would do find just if you hit it in the right place between 100-250 yards.

For coyote I use my 22-250 Remington 700 and 45gr Winchester ammo at 4000fps you can usually get them at your local Walmart, for around $25 a box (40 count). it dose very little damage to the pelt.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0042032210889a.shtml
  7. islenos

islenos New Member

I would go bigger, don't like to see anything suffer, not even coyotes.
  8. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Yes very true i didn't think of that aspect. So im going to have to agree with Islenos us a larger round. I wouldn't use rimfire even the 17hmr for coyote size game unless you are very sure in your ability that you can drop it in 1 shot.
  9. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    .223 is my preferred cal. for coyote.
  10. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I just sold my 22-250 which was my Coyote gun but if I was going now with what I have it would be my 243 as it's an excellent round and I go for center chest shots.
  11. army mp

army mp Member

I don’t know what your terrain is. Here in Pa, I have used both the 223 and 22-250, both will roll a yote, but I must say I have killed as many with the mossburg 835 with 3 1/2 mag 2x4 Turkey loads. Don’t get discouraged. It takes a lot of practice to out smart a brush wolf.