CPAC Presidential Lineup: Duncan Hunter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rosierita, Mar 3, 2007.

1. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

link

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R.-Calif.) reinforced his image as advocate for a muscular defense system and security hawk in his morning speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference today.

Hunter devoted a large portion of his speech advocating for a larger industrial military complex.

He said that in with today’s testy political climate a trade policy honed by former President Ronald Reagan was called for.

“We are going to have a new policy when it comes to trade,” he said. “Trust, but verify.”

He worried that too many foreign countries were producing our military resources to the detriment of American security.

“As Chairman of the Armed Services Committee, when IED’s started hurting our troops in Iraq and we sent teams to find some high-grade steel [to help protect them]. I found one company that makes it….When a company in Switzerland cut off our smart bombs, only one company in American could make that tiny guidance system for our smart bombs.”

Hunter also spoke of his work securing the border in San Diego. “The reason they came is because everyone in the world has a television set and they know the border is open.”

He was the architect of the House legislation to construct a 700-mile fence along the southern border.

“We built that fence in San Diego, a double fence. Before that fence it was no man’s land,” he said.

Now, “by FBI statistics the crime rate fell by more than 50 percent,” he told the audience.

“So, let’s build that fence!” he said. The crowd whooped and yelled before rising to give him a standing ovation.

If elected President Hunter promised to pardon Border Agents Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos also earned him a standing ovation.

He ended his speech with a promise to also appoint pro-life conservative judges to the Supreme Court if elected. He said, “America is a great nation because America is a good nation. And our goodness comes from our belief in God and the corresponding belief in human life.”

from his official website (link)

Spartanburg, SC – With John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Duncan Hunter all finishing in a statistical tie for first place at 24% each in the Spartanburg County, South Carolina straw poll, the big story is that of the surprise top finish by Duncan Hunter.

Mike Dixon, longtime GOP activist and former South Carolina 4th District Party Chairman, said “However you stack and restack the top three, the results are clear, Duncan Hunter has emerged as the conservative alternative South Carolina Republicans have been looking for.”

Commenting on Hunter’s strong showing, Spartanburg Republican Gerald Emory said, “Now we have a true Ronald Reagan conservative that we can support. This is a proud night for the Grand Ole Party.”

Duncan Hunter when speaking to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C., about his finish in the South Carolina poll said, “You know, I woke up to … one of the commentators saying that the only reason that Hunter beat all those guys in South Carolina is because his Marine son has been there for a week. Well, I looked down at that army of consultants, everybody who was vertical in South Carolina was hired by the other guys, and I said, ‘You know, that is a good match-up: One Marine versus 550 consultants.’ We did have the advantage!”

Dead-heat for: McCain: 24 % Giuliani: 24% Hunter: 24%

Followed by Brownback: 13% Romney: 12% Huckabee: 3%

:D :D :D :D
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

maybe someone to watch- hope springs eternal
  3. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

But, is he pro-gun? What is his gun related voting record?
  4. RugerNiner

RugerNiner New Member

About Duncan Hunter;

Voted YES on preventing tipping off Mexicans about Minuteman Project. (Jun 2006)
    Voted YES on reporting illegal aliens who receive hospital treatment. (May 2004)
    Voted NO on Permanent Normal Trade Relations with China. (May 2000)
    Voted NO on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. (Jul 2004)
    Voted NO on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003)
    Voted NO on implementing free trade agreement with Chile. (Jul 2003)
    Voted YES on withdrawing from the WTO. (Jun 2000)
    Voted NO on 'Fast Track' authority for trade agreements. (Sep 1998)
    Voted YES on end offshore tax havens and promote small business. (Oct 2004)
    Voted YES on $167B over 10 years for farm price supports. (Oct 2001)
    Voted YES on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005)
    Voted YES on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. (Feb 2004)
    Voted YES on banning partial-birth abortion except to save mother’s life. (Oct 2003)
    Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
    Voted YES on establishing nationwide AMBER alert system for missing kids. (Apr 2003)
    Voted YES on reducing Marriage Tax by $399B over 10 years. (Mar 2001)
    Voted YES on deterring foreign arms transfers to China. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on reforming the UN by restricting US funding. (Jun 2005)
    Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
    Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
    Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
    Rated A+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)
  5. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) thanks for posting that ruger!
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:eek: He sounds to good to be true! :)
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

He sounds like he may be someone to watch.
  8. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Wish he were doing better than he is.

It is looking like a Guliani vs. Clinton campaign right now.

That is the choice between ingesting cat vomit, or dog vomit.
  9. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

nah ~ i think it will be thompson.... not so sure about the hildabeast... she seems to be giving plenty of ammo to the reps.:p
  10. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

If Thompson is true to his word, as he is campaigning, I won't be disappointed with him, either, but you never know 'til he's there, and I've been disappointed with President Bush, and started out thinking he could be the next Regan. Like I said before, I want a Regan / John Wayne ticket. Anything less, and I'll be unhappy.