Cranes, the overhead type

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by woolleyworm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Thought I'd share some work pics, dirty work but it pays the bills.

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

The first two pics are of a turbine deck crane at a power plant.

Third pic is a 100 Ton crane in a boiler shop.

Last pic is the install of a new 15T crane.

Here's a couple of a billet crane in El Paso, that's me in the orange hat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Brings back memories, I've climbed a LOT of cranes over two decades.

In the USSteel Open Hearth three our pit cranes had 225 Ton main, 65 ton second and 15 ton third hoists. An empty steel ladle weighed 65 tons. Plus those old cranes were 2x overrated Morgans and Alliance cranes, they could pull until the cables broke!
    We had one 275 ton pit crane when they experimented with heavier loads.

The pouring floor had 4 cranes that mainly poured iron into the furnaces

In the USSteel rolling mills I had 39 EOT cranes (mainly about 15 ton lift) with cranemen, electricans and a substation to deal with, lot of climbing.

Later in a railroad tank car we had maybe 6 EOT cranes in my plant 3 (of 3) to carry around the parts to assemble a tankcar. (But in the fab Plant 2 they had a 3,000 ton two story head press that punched out the ends of the railcar from a red hot piece of plate....scary!)

Fun times....for a younger man. ;)
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Hey woolley,

I see those cranes are in good ol' HOT Texas, ever do any outside northern crane work?

All of my big crane work was in Ohio but I did have 7 repair shops in Texas to oversee from the main office, and ocassional Texas trips.
    mjp
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ready made bungee towers!! cool!!
  6. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Not me ...Like dust on my shoes :)
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah but that's not your first thought when you're up there in a stiff wind. ;)
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

wanna bet ? :D

if i can jump of it and live , i'm in .. even now days if i can afford it ( parachutings bloody expencive outta planes ) have a T-10 rig but with a acro australia chute ( rectangular dual layer ) will travel

but i'm told i'm strange that way
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't doubt that a bit!

I used to hate in the dead of winter, maybe -10 and high winds and the outdoor cranes would blow down the rails. We had to first unfreeze another crane, drive it over to the wayward crane, climb over the sides and climb down in the cab and repark it....near an access ladder.

In the OH, if a crane broke down same deal but you were looking down on molten steel in ladles, shuff blowing straight up in your face and nose, hell with the lid off, unreal.

But when you're 18-34 it's exciting!!
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Only you would think of that, Jack! You ain't as young as you once were.:D
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

true , i still do crazy stuff on occasion , just takes longer time pretending your all ok after , and getting longer every year eh .. over Christmas i'm hoping to do a couple jumps at wilton again , a chute sport centre inland from me

id love a job as a rigger or crane chaser or dogman , just no insurance would touch me ..
  13. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

High Hot and Dirty!! Our power plants here always have the turbines on the 2nd 3rd floor of the building. It wasnt until I went to San Onofre in CA that I seen my first outside turbine.

MJP I know where youre coming from abut the cold and being high. I am an insulator by trade and have done tons of work high in the air. In 1987 I fell 92 feet and only had a broken collar bone and a broken arm. I hot pipes on the way down which sort of broke my fall. Years later I developed back problems as a cronic onset from the fall. After that I was a little leary of climbing but heights didnt bother me. Back in those days safety wasnt what it has become over the past 10 years and a harness was unheard of. They gave you a safety belt wear it if you like. They never fit me so I didnt. After that anything over 10 feet was one hand for me one hand for the company. Even at 10 feet I could feel myself curling my toes like as to be holding on with my feet like a bird would. Just glad to be alive!
  14. woolleyworm

I have worked on cranes as far north as Barrow , Alaska. the company I work for has its US headquarters in Springfield Ohio, so I've spent sometime around that area also. gotta love those class E rated cranes, true workhorse machinery
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

dumb question but when they tear a building down , i notice folks grab the cranes

do they sell ok ??
  16. woolleyworm

They usually will; even if just stripped for components, there is decent money in used cranes.
  17. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

your question scares me. I can only imagine what you have in mind
  18. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

Company I work for bought a 3 ton overhead at a local auction about 10 years ago. There where 9 overhead cranes up for grabs and all but one were bought by the same person. He let us get the one we got dirt cheap, then got the bid to install when we got the building built. We loove the darn thing.
  19. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

nice dive Jack! watch those low turns!

I hate everytime I have to fly commercial and don't have my chute, seems dumb. In that small chance the plane starts going down, it would save your life. Even at extreme altitude you would easily survive with a chute if you could get out of the plane clean.

seems like a base rig would be nice to have up there on those cranes, would be a short dive though.
  20. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, nothing like gear grease or gear tac as thick as cow s*it in the morning!

Nothing like climbing cranes or in Jack's case anything too high for normal people to think about. Either you can do it or not!

I used to love to work with the Bull Gang, basically riggers only they were also electricans, millwrights, burners all doing the BIG, high, hot stuff. Sick fun!!!

Maybe because as a kid we had a barn with a hay loft, ladder straight up....we built our fort up there. Better than a child psychologist to straighten you out! :D