Cranes, the overhead type

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by woolleyworm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah i started similar swung a rope from the loft to a gum tree and built a cubby house up in it , about 40 foot up , ended up making a rope bridge across before the branch gave way , dive from the loft into straw ( and get in strife for doing so )

good way to grow up
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You too? We grew up swinging off the rope swing from 25' up the hay pile. :D:D I grew up hiking the mountains and had many narrow trails alongside cliff edges; just remember, it's not the fall that will kill ya, it's the sudden stop.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Even the older well built ones.

After my dad retired from USSteel, yeah same plant I started at, he got a job as Maint. Super. at a huge scrap yard outfit, they got the USS contract to scrap it out.

They already had 9 EOTs he bought 2 more of the good ones, sold the rest off, whole or parts.
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh God that does explain a lot!

Yeah I broke my left arm twice, once (bad) on a bike, one on a tarzan swing over a small ravine.

My poor mother, 0 girls, 5 boys, 6 broken arms....said she felt like she was living at the YMCA.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow would not catch me up there u must like your job
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

That brings back memories -
    I was an electrician at Keystone Steel and Wire in Bartonville, IL from 1970 to 1980, and worked on a lot of cranes like these. Darned things would NEVER break down near a ladder, though, and I always ended up having to climb an I-beam to reach the catwalk on them. And yes, they usually broke over the top of one of the muffle ovens and it was hot as hades up there.
    I was NEVER tempted to jump off of one though -
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah they never broke down sitting still at the ladder! That would be too easy.

And some people don't believe an outdoor crane can actually either freeze to the rails or the gearboxes would freeze solid and we'd light fires under them to get them loose but try not start a big fire.

Also they could snap a 4 x 4 with the power shoes that ride on the power rails or blow down the track in heavy winds...but they do.

We had 3 outdoor bays which fed the rolling mills with mainly billet stock. The farthest out bays had 2 magnet cranes. When the cranemen left the cranes, especially in bad or cold weather they were supposed to leave those big magnets down as anchors...but they'd forget and we'd have to go chase them down, climb over the hot rails or sides without any safety hookup because you were going onto another crane and jump down.

Young man's work, but it was a thrill!
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Ten four on the "young men's work"!
    Lord, I think about some of the work I did back then and my orifices pucker today -
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah you wonder if there were somekind of blind luck or other intervention at times.

When I was 18, been there maybe 3 weeks I was helping (watching?) a motor inspector put a big, heavy man cooling fan with billet supports on it on top of an OH furnace blowing DOWN to blow the tons of dirt and graphite away so the furnace roof won't get too heavy and sink in.

Problem was the craneman, and they were GOOD, could not see us up there, just flashlight signals in the dark. Well we had it almost set and it suddenly flipped over catching the MI Dan, knocked his helmet off (melted instantly), he was going down.

I just reached down and grabbed him by the arm, yanked him back on the catwalk, one shot. That close to a fatal right before my eyes.

When we got our nerves back, reset the fan without a word.

Then I'll never forget what he said, "oh s*it, I need a new helmet". He was shook, I was stunned.

Yeah we made good money, hot, dirty & dangerous. When I went to class all these punk-azz college students used to say "gee, you're so lucky, all that dough". I'd say you want to see lucky? I'll get you a labor job app, they're hiring right now. They wouldn't last 4 hours....saw that a LOT, they'd just quit.
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Hey wooley,

How high is that first crane from the ground? Looks pretty high above the building structure.

What's the highest or biggest one you've been around?
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

140' lift on the gantry. Biggest lift is probably 550' gate crane at a hydro plant.
  12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I want to say our two main cranes over the turbines are 125 or 150 ton rigs. When they go tmoving, you can feel the building move sometimes. Kinda freaky. Had me worried that there was something wrong with me before I figured out what it was. There's no way anybody would be able to fall from ours unless it was thier last day at work. Becuase the way safety is out here, if they did something that stupid, it would be thier last day. Gotta have a procedure and PPE to blow your nose around here.
  13. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's serious climbing!

If you've never been up in a crane 140' is like a 14 story building....without walls, just you and the sky.

550', that's up there, looking down at the birds, ;)
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

You've got that right, you're instantly retired and better have your legal affairs in order.

The big ones can be scary at times, need qualified operators to run them and maintenance people to keep them running.

When I started in 1969 some of the "old timers" told me stories passed down about the original old steam powered cranes and steam shovels....no way I would want to be around those things!
  15. overkillpaintball

overkillpaintball New Member