Creamed Woodchuck

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 358 winchester, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Creamed Woodchuck

Skin and cut a 6- to 8-pound woodchuck into serving pieces (being careful to remove the kernels under the forelegs and in the small of the back). Soak the pieces for at least 3 hours (overnight is better) in salted water to cover. Wash the pieces well, rinse them in several fresh waters, and drain thoroughly. Put the meat in a stewpot with boiling water to cover and let it boil violently for 15 minutes. At the end of this time the original quantity of water will be reduced by half, and the meat will have retained all its juices. Reduce the flame, and let the meat simmer gently until it is tender. Add 1 generous cup heavy sweet cream, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Note that this is the first time that salt and pepper have been added. Simmer for 5 minutes longer, then thicken the gravy with a little flour, stirred to a paste with cold water. Serve the creamed woodchuck with baking powder biscuits and boiled yams.
  2. Ron, when you get to the fricasseed pole cat recipe . . . the FDA will be camping on your doorstep. :D;)
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

If I bring a woodchuck into the house to cook the only thing that is going to get creamed will be me by my wife.
  4. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

I thought "creamed" was what happens to the woodchuck when you shoot it.
  5. 38 special

38 special New Member

I guess some do cook woodchuck I should have read this before posting. I did try cooking 2 chucks awhile ago but they came out tough I think I should have used dutch kettle. Woodhucks are hard to skin the hide is like weldedto the body. But woodchucks are a very clean animal and eat good stuff like clover.
  6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I've nothing to add to the recipe, other than for the last few days my eye keeps gettin caught by the phrase "Creamed Woodchuck", and it always brings to mind the "cause and effect" of a slow-moving groundhawg and a fast-moving pick-up truck! 'Wow, that groundhawg really got creamed!" :D
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Now, seriously -

A groundhog was the FIRST game I ever brought home.
    My dog and I were out in the woods, and I shot one with my Red Rider BB gun.
    That just made him ran a little faster to his hole, of course -
    My dog was right on his tail, and grabbed his rear end just as he reached the hole, pulling him back out.
    Realizing I was vastly underpowered for such a large creature as this, I commenced to try to whack him on the head with my wooden stocked weapon.
    Every two or three smacks, their wrestling would bring my dog within the swing zone and I would clop him one instead, which would cause him to glare at me as he continued to wrestle the creature.
    I finally did kill it and proudly brought it home for supper.
    Dad helped me clean it, and mom baked it in the oven of her big old wood-fired kitchen range.
    Honestly, it was pretty bad. VERY gamy, and VERY greasy as well.
    But we ate it - because that is what you did in those days. You ate what you killed. And that kept me from ever trying to kill a possum or a skunk.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  9. sbkittrell

sbkittrell New Member

10. killbuck

killbuck New Member

358: I'll have to give this a try this summer. Lord knows I've ate plenty of chucks. I esp like the young ones grilled. You have to keep them basted over low coals or sometimes you can wrap the pieced in bacon and do them indirect till the bacon is done. You can do the older ones that way too but you need to soak them in salt water over night to get out that older strong taste.

The key on the grill is not to let them get dried out when cooking. No...they don't taste like chicken. LOL
  11. freestate101

freestate101 New Member

The secret to cooking a tender woodchuck is "The Pressure Cooker".
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Nice coaled fire in the high desert and a few sticks, and wild onions, sage.
    We called em rock chucks.:D