1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Crescent Firearms single barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by seascape, Dec 18, 2011.

1. seascape

seascape New Member

Good evening,
    Thank you for what appears to be a really nice forum.

The purpose of my 1st post is many.

My 14 yr old took his hunter saftey course this year and passed. This is an interest he took up on his own. I have not hunted in 16 yrs but was pretty die hard and serious about when I did. i gravitated towards bow hunting so I have very little knowledge of guns. I owned a mossburg 12 ga pump for deer gun week here in Ohio and rabbit season. I also owned a .380 semi auto pistol for a short period. Other than that I didnt get inti guns very much unless it was a friends gun ,, some of which owned very expensive guns i was fortunate to fire. 7mm rifle WOW! Desert Eagle VERY NICE!

Well, today we noticed a pawn shop and stopped in to look at coins. I am a very avid collector. Knowing that my son has been working me for his 1st gun I started looking at theyre guns. Long story short I ended up buying a Crescent Firearms siingle barrel 16 ga. They wanted $69.00 I talked them down to $35.00 out the door! This thing is old and it looks old! It spoke out to me.

I would really like some feedback on my purchase. It looks safe to fire but I will have it checked before I or my son pullthe trigger on it. My hope is that I can take him rabbit hunting w/ it. I am pretty sure the barrel is not capable of slugs but i'm not sure.

Everything looks solid except the butt. The prior owner has electrical tape wrapped around it. I intend to re-wrap w/ camo tape or if the guns worth it have a new butt (called a stock aint it? sorry) made for it. I doubt i can buy one because from what I've found out so far it was made between 1893-1930.

On the side of the chamber its stamped :No.15 Empire Ejector The Crescent Firearms co. Norwalk Conn.

On the barrel right where you insert the shell its stamped '16g'
    On top of the barrel it is stamped 'General Armory Steel'
    On the end of the barrel is simply a bead sight.

The hammer works and it opens easily but kinda stiff. I'll probably clean and oil that. The trigger pulls and relaeses the hammer. Just to let you know I did not dry fire it. I just checked it over for primary fuctions and they all seem fine. The lever moves to the right and allows the break action.

The bore (inside of the barrel looks smooth . I can see its been fired there is residue,, but no major flaws or any flaws at all for that matter that i can see.

Nothing appears loose,woobly,bent ,out of place......... just a very ugly stalk. The patina in my opinion is beautiful. No rust whatsoever.

I guess I'd like to know how i did on my negotiation of $35 out the door?
    Anything you know about the gun?
    Anyting in particular I can look at and check myself prior to taking it to an expert.

Did I buy a gem? Or just a rag?

I took some images and will try to post them. Looks like I need to put them in photobucket first?:confused:

Any feedback is appreciated in advance!
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Well, unfortunately it does not suit your purpose. First, and before we get to the stock, that chamber is not suited for modern 16ga ammunition. The chamber and forcing cone would need to be lengthened to safely fire modern shells, assuming the rest of the gun checks out OK.

If the stock is cracked significantly, you will not easily find a replacement.

I am afraid that making that gun, as you describe it, a viable hunting shotgun for your 14 year old is going to still cost more than if you had bought a new Rossi or similar single-shot 20ga.
  3. seascape

seascape New Member

Hummm,,, not getting off to a good start.
  4. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Post the serial number (found on the bottom tang just behind the trigger guard) and we can tell you when the gun was made.
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Welcome to the forum seascape. Im sure you will get the answers your looking for and getting started is the easy part. hard part is stopping lol. My grandson just started with a mossberg 4-10 pump which is kinda pricey on ammo but a ball to learn on.good luck to ya.
  6. seascape

seascape New Member

Thank You, the serial # is 778677
  7. seascape

seascape New Member

I'm gonna try to show images.

[​IMG]
  8. seascape

seascape New Member

9. seascape

seascape New Member

I'm sorry I am just not very computer savy.
  10. seascape

seascape New Member

11. seascape

seascape New Member

12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

In it's present condition you gave about what it's worth. Unfortunately just restocking it, provided you find a stock is going to put you in the hole value wise. You would do much better buying a used Mossberg pump and he will appreciate it a lot more.
  13. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

As you stated, the gun "spoke to you", not your son. Either way, this is not the proper first gun for him. If anything, it will probably turn him off from shooting. It is not worth putting any money into. As suggested, count your loss and buy your son something more suited to him and something he likes, preferably not a single shot.
  14. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Seascape - a lot of the guys here are professional gunsmiths. I am not - just an old shooter and collector of guns that strike my fancey.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take that shotgun to a local - competant - gunsmith and make sure you have something that is safe to use and worthwhile to fiddle with.

As far as a 16 guage being too much for your son, a 16 guage isn't exactly a cannon, yet it is not a pop-gun either. My grandpa used one for years to hunt rabbits and squirrels with, and he preferred it over either a 20 guage or a 12. Used to call it his "Sweet Sixteen".

You don't have a huge investment in that shotgun, but if it were me, I'd take it to the garage or basement and make a replacement stock for it out of an old take-off GI walnut stock. Sometimes a crack can be repaired with today's miracle stock bedding compounds and dowels. That or search the Gun Parts places (like Numrich in West Hurley, NY). Could be a fun winter project for you and your son.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  15. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

According to the serial number-year made table in my reference book, the gun was made in 1934. This was after Crescent Fire Arms went out of business but the replacement company, Crescent -Davis Arms Corporation continued to assemble guns using left over parts until about 1938. This gun will have either a 2 9/16 or 2 3/4 inch chamber and if in good condition, should be safe to shoot using appropriate ammunition. No 3 inch or magnum high pressure smokeless powder or steel shot. If you have any doubts about its condition, have it examined by a good competent gunsmith before attempting to shoot it. Value? Everyone likes to know. These guns were inexpensive even when brand new selling between $15 to $25 and they haven't appreciated that much since. Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk that would require major repairs before a salvage yard would accept it, might bring as little a $10 for parts.