crescent firearms

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by KILDEA 415, Oct 26, 2010.

1. KILDEA 415

KILDEA 415 New Member

Ok, I've happened through a couple posts about crescent firearms and did some research on the company. Here's the story!
    I was given 2 shotguns by my grandpa. The first is a 12 gauge which I don't currently have in my possesion. The second is a 16 gauge. Left side is stamped victor ejector, crescent firearms co. , norwich, conn. The top of the barrel reads genuine armory steel. The stock and the barrel serial numbers match. Its a single shot break over with about a 28 in. Barrel. Its fairly clean but needs some tlc. I'm going to hang it on the wall but I would like to know if you guys could tell me or give me direction on finding any info on this gun? Thank to all!
  2. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Cresent was a store brand sold by various hardware stores in the late 1800's to around the 20's-30's if my memory serves me right. I've owned a Victor in the past and currently own a Cresent Peerless 12 ga. double. You can cross reference these shotguns in the reference section of the Guns Bluebook.:confused:
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, Crescent was the company that really did make an awful lot of those store brands, but they also made guns with their own name on them. Their guns, under whatever name, were reasonably well made and moderately priced. But they were used, usually a lot harder than more expensive guns, and most Crescent-made guns today show that use.

Since Crescent spanned the black-to-smokeless powder era, the barrels on Crescent made guns may not be safe to fire with modern ammunition, and age and wear may render them unsafe with any ammunition. I would consider any of them to be relics and recommend against firing them.

I suggest Googling "Cresent Gun Company" for more info than I could possibly give you here.

Jim