1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

crimp question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mtnman05, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

I know this may be a stupid question and you will probably make fun of me for asking it. Here goes, i've bought some pistol bullets and they don't have a crimp groove to crimp into. How in the world are you suppose to crimp these style without the crimp groove??
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

What caliber? Some pistol ammo such as 9mm & 45acp use a taper crimp, A cannelure is found with those cartriges which need a roll crimp. Which do you have?

PS Wouldn't make fun of you, but this info is provided in loading manuals, if you did enough reading this should be clear to you, hint hint.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

a taper crimp does not require a cannelure (crimp groove). such as 9mm 40 45acp. and some rifle rounds such as 30-06

revolver cartridges and some rifle rounds have a roll crimp and require a cannelure if you're using jacketed bullets. you can crimp lead without a cannelure
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just seat them into the case where they need to be and crimp them, even revolver rounds that require roll crimping. The die will smash the casemouth into the bullet, granted heavy recoiling revolver rounds prolly will move the bullets under recoil and lock the cylinder so try to keep uncannelured bullets for use in light revolver rounds and auto pistols...
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Nobody here will make fun of you. You may get little scolding from time to time depending on things like safety or reading your manuals, but "make fun", never!

It's best to post a question with a lot of details. Then the members here can do their best to answer your questions instead of asking you questions.

Tells us more about your pistol, caliber, cartridge, bullets and what manuals you have.
  6. medalguy

medalguy Member

JLA is right, crimp everything for a revolver but don't overdo it. You will be making a cannelure with the crimping tool but too much of a crimp will tend to distort the bullet making it less accurate. Just enough to hold it against recoil.
  7. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

Its for a 44magnum. The bullets are some 200 grain lead free bullets that I got a good deal on. I will just crimp them then. I tried to find it in my Hornady manual I have been using but it didn't really help. Under roll crimping it just talks about revolver rounds and proper roll crimp into the cannelure etc. Only thing I saw about uncannelured bullets was taper crimping but my 44mag die does the roll crimp.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah just mash em in there then til you get a decent crimp on the bullet. When done, mash it nose first against your bench to see if you can get the bullet to move under manual force, if they dont budge, go shootn:)