Crimped primer pocket

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gibill, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Have some 223 military brass that has crimped pocket.......what is the best tool to lose that crimp for easier priming?
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've used a countersink drill bit with some success. I got a Lyman ream/clean accessory set from Sinclair/Brownellsthat has produced good results.
  3. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Did the countersink bit reach the flash hole and harm it? How much was the lynam kit?
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the tip end of your chamfer tool works great. and no need to buy another tool. Chances are you already have one anyway.
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

This is what I have been using as per advised by a fellow reloader that reloads maybe 6000 .223 rounds a month. (many are for private sells, but most are for the local PD)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2

Swagging the primer pocket gives you more of a chance of reloading the .223 brass more times. If you are reaming the primer pocket .....chances are the pocket will get too lose for future primers.
  8. mikld

mikld Active Member

I just did a bunch of 9mm brass w/crimped primers. I use a 60 degree high speed steel countersink. The one I have has a hex shaft and fits in my drill/screwdriver, and I did mebbe 100 in about 15 minutes or less. My countersink cost less than $10.00 and I've been using it for several years to knock out the crimp on military primer pockets...
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

not wanting to ruin any brass.. I flipped for the lyman tool kit that has manual cleaners and reamers for large and small primers, plus PP trueing kits, plus a flash hole cleaner.

they worked so good i flipped for the automatic model with 5 spinning heads....

best way i know to get rid of a crimp, clean and true a pocket, and no chance to damage it with a drill bit...
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:yeahthat: You won't cut deep enough into the brass to really shorten its life from loose pockets.
  11. mikld

mikld Active Member

Nope. Most of the crimps are just a few thousandths deep and a 60 degree break on the corner of the pocket, deep enough to remove the crimp, has no effect on brass life.
  12. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I've had a Dillon Primer Pocket Swage for years, and feel that it is the best product on the market for removing the primer pocket crimps. Mine came with .22 and .30 caliber spuds, and it locates from these and the web inside the case. Consistant results from case to case, primers feed in like commercial cases aftrer the process. It is adjustable to account for minor differences in web thickness' from brass lot to lot variations. For it's indended purpose, I wouldn't trade for anything else.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't